You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 470190  

Print Page

© Mr G M Smith ARPS

IoE Number: 470190
Photographer: Mr G M Smith ARPS
Date Photographed: 22 August 1999
Date listed: 27 August 1998
Date of last amendment: 27 August 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL LEAMINGTON ROAD 44/2/10022 Synagogue GV II Synagogue. Main block of 1916-26; dated and inscribed to front: 'BLACKPOOL UNITED / HEBREW SYNAGOGUE / 5676 ERECTED 1926'; with additions and alterations of 1955 and 1976, including range to right. Architect, Alderman R.B. Mather, J.P. Red brick with ashlar dressings, pantile and lead roofs. Main range: the gable end is to the front and has a round-arched, coped, low parapet behind which rises a small octagonal dome. PLAN: main range a single tall storey, articulated externally as 2 storeys, 3 bays, with 2-lower-storey entrance range to right. Main range in Byzantine style. Full-height pilaster strips off-set to angles, with pilaster strips between upper stage windows which rise from central lower-stage breakforward; all pilasters rise above parapet; similar pilasters to lower-stage breakforward and with continuous chequerboard band between stages. Windows: upper stage has outer round-arched windows in quoined surrounds with voussoirs to head and keystones; central 3-light mullion and transom windows, the upper lights are circular, in straight-headed surround with frieze and cornice; plaque above. Lower stage: outer 3-light windows; 3 central blind openings to breakforward. Further range to right with central entrance: double, glazed doors, and with casement window to upper stage. Left return: 7 bays originally, with 3-bay extension. Similar pilaster strips to 5 bays and windows to 6 bays: mainly round-arched thermal windows with keystones to upper stage, those 2 to left are straight-headed, 3-light windows then a simplified Venetian window with arch over and cornice; otherwise casements. To lower stage are 2- and 3-light straight-headed windows each with frieze and cornice. Entrance to end bay of original range: double doors. GLASS: good stained glass throughout with scenes from the Torah. INTERIOR: Barrel vaulted roof with chamfered ribs. Balcony to three sides with panelled balustrade surmounted by open x-work. Pews remain to ground floor and balcony. Mahogany panelling to front wall has open pediment on Ionic columns, with Doric columns to inner round arched niche. Octagonal reading desk. Further central reading desk introduced c1960s. Forms a good group with The Old Grammar School, Raikes Parade (qv).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.