You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 470259  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 470259
Location: JAMES NICHOLSON MEMORIAL IN GENERAL CEMETERY, CEMETERY ROAD
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 February 2006
Date listed: 02 September 1998
Date of last amendment: 02 September 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 3485 NW SHEFFIELD CEMETERY ROAD 784-1/37/10056 James Nicholson Memorial in General Cemetery GV II Memorial monument. c.1872. Ashlar sandstone monument set within an elongated triangular enclosure. Elevated chest tomb surmounted by a statue of a woman kneeling at prayer. Tall stepped ashlar base, with chamfered plinth and tomb above, formerly with statues to each corner ( now removed), beneath bell-shapes canopies forming part of a moulded cornice, above which is set the statue. The tomb is set at the north end of the enclosure formed by a stepped ashlar plinth, surmounted by cast-iron panels with linked pierced circles and moulded posts. The monument commemorates members of the Nicholson family, including Harriet Nicholson, (d.1876), her husband, who commissioned the monument (d.1909), and their children. The Nicholson family were prominent industrialists in Sheffield in the late C19. The monument stands close to that of another notable industrialist of the period, Mark Firth (item 37/162), with which it forms a group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.