You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 47027  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 47027
Location: DANESFIELD HOUSE, HENLEY ROAD
  MEDMENHAM, WYCOMBE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 25 July 2004
Date listed: 09 August 1977
Date of last amendment: 09 August 1977
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MEDMENHAMHENLEY ROADSU 88 SW(DANESFIELD)Danesfield House09-AUG-19771820/8/144

MEDMENHAM HENLEY ROAD SU 88 SW (DANESFIELD) Danesfield House 09-AUG-1977 1820/8/144 - II* - Mansion, now offices. Dated 1899-1901. By F.H. Romaine Walker for Mr. Robert Hudson, soap manufacturer, of Bache Hall, Cheshire. Dressed chalk, plain tile roofs, brick chimneys with groups of richly patterned shafts, lead rainwater heads with pierced geometric ornament. In Tudor style. Approximately E plan with central porch to state rooms in S. wing, former banquetting room and gatehouse in W. wing, and E. wing fronting former stable courtyard. 1950s wing attached to S.W. Battlemented parapets, stone mullion and transom windows with leaded lights. W. wing has gatehouse tower with moulded 4-centred arch and fan vault, battlemented oriel window, clock, and corner turrets. Remainder of wing is of one tall storey with one bay window to left and 4 to right. 2 2-storey gabled bays and 1950s wing project to right. Entrance courtyard has 2-storey porch to centre of S. range and hall with 3 tall bay windows to right. Simpler gatehouse to stable courtyard in E. wing. Stable ranges altered to offices c.1980, retaining Tuscan colonnade and spiral wooden staircase with conical tiled roof in N.W. corner. S. front has 5 3-storey bays to centre, flanked by 4-storey projecting towers and 2-storey outer bays. Centre bays have ground floor loggia with 4-centred moulded arches on Tuscan columns, articulated into bay rhythm 2: 7: 2 by piers with shell niches. Pierced parapet with cusped ornament. Bay windows to upper storeys and outer bays. Towers have stepped parapets, corner finials and 3-storey battlemented bay windows. Interior is Jacobethan, with some rooms remodelled 1920s in late C18 style. Great Hall has Jacobethan panelling with pilasters, screen with arched double doors, minstrels' gallery, and splendid hammerbeam roof with traceried spandrels and righly carved pendants. Roof is dated H 1901 over gallery. Circa 1940 stone fireplace in French medieval style. Below gallery is entrance lobby with panelling and carved overmantel to 4-centred stone fireplace. Panelled passage with ribbed plaster pendants to ceiling. Panelled Jacobethan board- room with internal porch, richly carved wooden overmantel and columns to fireplace, ribbed ceiling, and plaster frieze with copies of heraldic motifs dated ANM 1677. Adjacent dining room with marble fireplace in Adam style. S.W. room has delicate plaster ceiling in late C18 style, and late C18 white marble fireplace with low relief carvings of musical instruments. Grand banquetting room decorated 1920s with Ionic pilasters, plaster frieze with scrolls and trophies, grey marble fireplace, and large arched mirrors. Fine Jacobethan staircase has rusticated newel posts and pierced balustrading with foliage scrolls, beasts and heraldry. Triple arcade to landing. C17 and C18 style panelling in upper rooms, original ornamental tiles retained in some bathrooms.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.