You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 470601  

Print Page



© Mr David March

IoE Number: 470601
Location: SOUTHERN ABUTMENT TO FORMER WEST BLACKFRIARS AND ST PAULS RAILS BRIDGE, BLACKFRIARS ROAD
  BERMONDSEY, SOUTHWARK, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr David March
Date Photographed: 06 September 2001
Date listed: 24 August 1995
Date of last amendment: 24 August 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTHWARKTQ3180BLACKFRIARS ROAD636-1/1/874Southern abutment to former West

SOUTHWARK TQ3180 BLACKFRIARS ROAD 636-1/1/874 Southern abutment to former West 24/08/95 Blackfriars and St Paul's Rail Bridge GV II Abutment. 1862-64. By Joseph Cubitt. For the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company. Abutments of stone faced with Portland stone from Charles Labelye's Westminster Bridge of 1738-49. HISTORICAL NOTE: built for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company to support the line on the Beckenham to Ludgate Hill route. As the bridge was to form part of the company's Blackfriars Station it was given good cast-iron ornament; the large shields flanking the way on the Southwark side bear the company's crest and title in full. These were restored c1990. The abutment to the south shore falls within the London Borough of Southwark. Joseph Cubitt designed Blackfriars Road Bridge to the west (see City of London), and with it this forms a group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.