You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 470605  

Print Page



© Mrs M.A.C. Ball LRPS

IoE Number: 470605
Location: ROYAL AIR FORCE MEMORIAL, COOPERS HILL
  EGHAM, RUNNYMEDE, SURREY
Photographer: Mrs M.A.C. Ball LRPS
Date Photographed: 17 September 1999
Date listed: 25 September 1998
Date of last amendment: 25 September 1998
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SU 97 SE EGHAM COOPERS HILL 1346/1/10009 Royal Air Force Memorial II* War memorial. 1953. Edward Maufe. Portland stone with low pitched slated roof with eaves to single storey enclosures and roofs not visible to centrepieces. Quadrangular plan with quadrant wings extending at rear to left and right. Central entrance through tall, single-storey centrepiece with three capital-less arches, fully glazed in bronze frames, each with three pairs of bronze lions overlaid in relief on the glazing. Doors originally made for the New York Trade Fair, but adapted and presented to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for inclusion at the Air Forces memorial by the Mond Nickel Company. Moulded cornice with words `PER ARDVA AD ASTRA' inscribed on frieze. Eagle with extended wings and crown over to parapet. Low flanking wings projecting on either side with 6-pane windows, and extending to enclose courtyard; their outer walls articulated by narrow vertical strip windows. Inside the single storey wings form an open cloister, with round-headed arches on Ionic columns with simplified capitals. Centrepiece opposite entrance (covered for repairs at time of visit) is taller with a central round-headed arch, much plain walling and five small square windows beneath moulded cornice. Crown finial to roof. Cloisters with coffered, painted ceilings decorated with coats of arms. The engraved north window, and the painted ceilings of the shrine and outlooks are by the artist John Hutton. The rear walls have moulded Portland stone seats with shell decoration, one to each strip window. Window jambs and wall panels carry inscribed names of the fallen. This treatment continues in the quadrant wings. Of historical interest as a war memorial and an impressive and beautifully detailed monument to the fallen, occupying a prominent position on a ridge overlooking the River Thames. Winner of the RIBA South Eastern regions bronze medal for the best building of of 1946-53.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.