© Mr David March
HAYS GALLERIA , TO REAR OF NUMBER 51-67, TOOLEY STREET
BERMONDSEY, SOUTHWARK, GREATER LONDON
Mr David March
10 May 2001
20 June 1980
Date of last amendment:
17 September 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3380 COUNTER STREET
636-1/2/261 (North side)
20/06/80 Hay's Galleria
(Formerly Listed as:
Building immediately to the rear of
Nos.51-67 Tooley Street)
Range of warehouses with offices, now offices, shops and
residential units. 1851-1857, rebuilt 1861 and C20.
By W Snooke & H Stock.
PLAN: the northern group of Hay's Wharf complex, formerly
connected to south block fronting Tooley Street by 4-storey
bridges over Counter Street. Altered, restored and rebuilt
inside as U-shaped plan around wet dock (now filled in). East
and west ranges: 1851-6; linking Counter Street range: 1857.
Much reinstated after fire of 1861; river ends rebuilt after
war damage, and again in 1980s.
MATERIALS: stock brick with artificial stone dressings, C20
EXTERIOR: main elevation of Counter Street block facing former
dock (now filled in and roofed as piazza): 3 giant storeys and
attic, 5 bays, central bay wider. Ground floor has
round-headed brick arches with walkway through to Counter
Street. 1st and 2nd floors articulated by giant pilasters with
stone bases and capitals supporting stone archivolts to
round-headed 2nd-floor windows. 1st-floor windows
segmental-headed. Stone entablature with cornice and pediment
over central bay.
Counter Street elevation similar but plainer. Similar,
slightly curved elevations facing dock piazza to east and west
ranges, east of 25 bays, west of 21 bays.
Battle Bridge Lane elevation to east range 22 bays with
advanced block to river of further 6 bays (much rebuilt).
Again, similar treatment to dock elevations with artificial
stone dressings and reinstated cornice. Similar Hay's Gap
elevation to west range of 15 bays, with a further 6 bays
(slightly projecting) towards river.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: part of the vast riverside developments
controlled in the mid C19 by John Humphery, for whom Cubitts
were the contractors. When finished in 1857 these buildings
were widely considered to be the best of their kind in London.
Part of the same complex as Nos 51-67 Tooley Street (qv),
which has group value with Nos 47 & 49 Tooley Street (qv).