© Mr David March
LONDON HYDRAULIC POWER COMPANY FORMER PUMPING STATION, RENFORTH STREET
BERMONDSEY, SOUTHWARK, GREATER LONDON
Mr David March
15 November 2001
01 July 1983
Date of last amendment:
01 July 1983
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3579 RENFORTH STREET
636-1/6/633 London Hydraulic Power Company
01/07/83 former Pumping Station
Pumping station, later engineering works. Dated 1902. For
London Hydraulic Power Company (with company name on plaque).
Local stock and Suffolk brick with red brick dressings to
semicircular window arches.
Main block of pump room ranged east-west has a lofty series of
arched windows and oculi in the gable ends which have stepped
brick detailing and parapet gables to clerestory. Tall
tapering octagonal chimney stack on tall square base with
engineering brick plinth at north-west corner of pump room.
Accumulator tower with blind arcading, panelled frieze,
cornice and parapet raised in gable over short sides. Lower
north blocks support large panelled cast-iron settling tanks,
carried on steel frame internally.
Was in its original use until 1977; pumps and engines since
removed. More recent use as engineering works. Following the
company's Wapping Station, this one established the design
type for the company's subsequent stations.