© Mr David March
47 AND 49 TOOLEY STREET (north side)
BERMONDSEY, SOUTHWARK, GREATER LONDON
Mr David March
28 September 2001
13 May 1971
Date of last amendment:
13 May 1971
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3280 TOOLEY STREET
636-1/2/774 (North side)
13/05/71 Nos.47 AND 49
Warehouse, now offices. 1860s, restored and interior rebuilt
late C20. By W Snooke and H Stock. Yellow brick with stucco
and artificial stone dressings, C20 roof extensions above
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys (ground floor including recent mezzanine
level) and attic, 3 bays. Altered ground floor has tall,
segmental-headed openings with keystones now filled in at top
to form mezzanine level, open below as walkway. Stucco banded
rustication to this level. Slightly recessed rounded corner
angles. Upper 3 floors articulated by colossal round-arched
recesses with architraves and keystones supporting cornice and
resting on blocking course above cornice to ground floor;
moulded string at spring. 1st- and 2nd-floor segmental-headed
windows in inner, segmental-arched recess. 3rd floor
round-headed windows in round-arched recesses have moulded
sills inside recesses continuing as plain band outside.
Similarly treated 5-bay returns.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the last remaining warehouse building of
former Cotton's Wharf. Cotton's was almost entirely destroyed
in the fire of Tooley Street (1861) and was immediately
rebuilt. It was converted into a coldstore in the 1880s by the
proprietors of adjacent Hay's Wharf. Late C20 buildings have
replaced the other buildings on the site.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Has group value with the adjacent Hay's Wharf buildings to the