You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 471419  

Print Page



© Mr Stephen Richards

IoE Number: 471419
Location: THE HENRY WOOD HALL, INCLUDING GATE PEIRS AND RAILINGS, TRINITY CHURCH SQUARE
  BERMONDSEY, SOUTHWARK, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Stephen Richards
Date Photographed: 08 April 2007
Date listed: 02 March 1950
Date of last amendment: 17 September 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTHWARK TQ3279 TRINITY CHURCH SQUARE 636-1/5/811 The Henry Wood Hall, including gate 02/03/50 piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: TRINITY CHURCH SQUARE (North side) Church of Holy Trinity, Newington) GV II Church, now concert hall. 1823-24. By Francis Bedford. Gutted by fire and rebuilt inside as orchestral hall, 1973-5. MATERIALS: Bath stone, copper roof. PLAN: plain, rectangular Bath stone church with main portico to (unusually) the north elevation, porch to south; low pitched copper roof with pedimented gable ends to east and west. Tower above the north pediment. EXTERIOR: church of 2 storeys, 3 bays to east and west, 5 bays to south with projecting central bay under small pediment, 7 bays to north with projecting Corinthian portico of 5 bays to centre. Quoin pilasters support architrave, frieze and cornice. 5 doorways to portico, 1 to centre of west end. Doors and windows segmental-headed with stone architraves, windows to 1st floor longer and with sill band. Tower of 2 stages, the lower stage square Doric columns flanking bell openings, clocks to each face below, the upper stage an octagonal lantern with feather capitals to columns. INTERIOR: rebuilt as an open hall with new west gallery retains some pilasters and cornice. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: stone gate piers with fret ornament and acroteria finials, cast-iron panelled railings a replica of those destroyed in war. All the listed buildings in Trinity Church Square form a group. (Survey of London: Darlington, I: Survey of London: St George's Fields: 1955-: 109-112).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.