You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 471458  

Print Page



© Mr David March

IoE Number: 471458
Location: FORMER CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, WELLS WAY (east side)
  BERMONDSEY, SOUTHWARK, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr David March
Date Photographed: 01 October 2001
Date listed: 30 June 1954
Date of last amendment: 30 June 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTHWARKTQ3377WELLS WAY636-1/10/848(East side)

SOUTHWARK TQ3377 WELLS WAY 636-1/10/848 (East side) 30/06/54 Former Church of St George II Commissioners' Church, now in residential use. 1822-24. By Francis Bedford, architect; apse added by Basil Champneys, 1893. Stone. Classical style. Rectangular plan. 2 storeys with giant hexastyle portico to west, its entablature with wreaths in frieze, cornice and pediment supported by Greek Doric columns; openings behind on ground and 1st floor blocked-up. Tower of 3 stages behind, with Doric and Ionic orders. Side elevations of 2 storeys, 5 bays, the smaller ground-floor windows blocked-up. INTERIOR: formerly much embellished (1909), now lost (gutted by fire).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.