You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 471568  

Print Page



© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS

IoE Number: 471568
Location: KERSAL CELL, LITTLETON ROAD (west side)
  SALFORD, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 October 1999
Date listed: 31 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 31 January 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SALFORDSD80SWLITTLETON ROAD949-1/2/69(West side)

SALFORD SD80SW LITTLETON ROAD 949-1/2/69 (West side) 31/01/52 Kersal Cell GV II* Manor house, later restaurant, now disused. C16 with later additions. Timber-framed with plaster infill on a sandstone base. Welsh slate roof with axial and end wall stacks. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, hall range with cross-wings. Originally a 4-bay cruck-framed building, the cross-wings added later. Framed in square panels, with coving below eaves, and braced king-post roof construction to gabled wings. Recent restorations have replaced window ranges in the S elevation, which has a continuous band of fenestration to the ground floor, and a long narrow window to first floor, all with timber mullions. Doorway inserted to left of right-hand gable, which has renewed 5-light mullioned window to right, and canted oriel window above. Full-height canted bay window in left-hand gable. The N elevation is of painted brick with Gothic style windows in stuccoed square hoodmoulds. Exposed cruck trusses built into end walls with part of a restored plaster frieze with bold decoration to the left comprising a bordered panel with vine leaves, fleur-de-lys and escutcheon with initials E B and date 1697. To the right are 3 moulded devices with large unicorn supporters. C17 staircase with intertwined twisted balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house stands on the site of Lenton Priory, a C12 Cluniac house. It was the home of John Byrom, shorthand writer, and author of 'Christians Awake'.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.