© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LIVERPOOL STREET (south side)
SALFORD, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
24 September 1999
18 January 1980
Date of last amendment:
18 January 1980
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ89NW LIVERPOOL STREET
949-1/4/70 (South side)
18/01/80 Church of St Luke
Parish church. 1865, the chancel chapel added 1875. By George
Gilbert Scott. Coursed sandstone rubble with plain-tiled roof.
Gothic style with nave with clerestory and aisles.
EXTERIOR: lower chancel with semicircular apse and attached
chapels to N and S with parallel ridges and end gables.
Projecting gabled porch to N. Slim tower over W end with angle
buttresses and bell chamber lights with paired lancets. Brooch
spire above with lucarnes. Nave of 4 bays, with paired lancets
to aisles with foiled circular windows to clerestory. Paired
lancets between buttresses to apse, and similar to side
chapels but with plate tracery. Stone plinth with continuous
INTERIOR: quatrefoil piers to arcade, and apse with arcading
alternating stained glass windows by Kempe and painted panels
over panelled dado. East window possibly by Hardman. Tower
supported internally by large circular columns with carved
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South Lancashire:
Harmondsworth: 1969-: 395).