© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
ORDSALL HALL, TAYLORSON STREET (south east side)
SALFORD, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
10 September 1999
31 January 1952
Date of last amendment:
31 January 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ89NW TAYLORSON STREET
949-1/4/94 (South East side)
31/01/52 Ordsall Hall
Large house. Substantially early C16 with additions of c1639,
restored and extended 1896-7 by Alfred Derbyshire.
Timber-framed with heavy slate roofs, extended in brick. Main
hall building comprises open hall with 2 cross gables, a
single 2-storeyed bay to the right, and a 2-storeyed gable to
the left incorporating remains of original C14 house.
EXTERIOR: central hall is framed in small framing with
quatrefoil panels; probably late C16 or early C17 work
extensively renewed in C19 restoration. Doorway to cross
passage to right. Long line of continuous mullioned window at
upper level below coved eaves. Small gable to left of hall has
high canted mullioned and transomed window to ground floor at
dais end, small attic window of 4-lights above. Projecting
gable to right beyond cross passage, similarly framed, with
massive canted full-height bay window, an addition of c1600.
Present entrance to right of this range, which comprised the
original service end of the hall. Brick gable to left of hall
rebuilt in later C19, but incorporating internally remains of
a C14 building.
The building extends beyond this gabled wing, and a wide
shallow wing projects beyond, largely later C19. Wing of c1639
advanced from right-hand of original range, where it replaced
an original wing, and was formerly a separate dwelling: brick
with stone dressings. 2-storeyed, an irregular plan of 5
windows, with advanced gable to right of centre housing
doorway in timber gabled porch. Chamfered angles to gable.
Mullioned windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights at first-floor level,
and stepped mullion in gable apex. Lower windows renewed early
C20. Axial and end wall stacks.
Rear of hall substantially rebuilt during C19 in buff brick
with red brick dressings. Two 4-centred arched traceried
windows with continuous string course and hoodmould divided by
buttresses. Dais gable has corresponding rear gable with
paired mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, and mock
timbering coved in the gable apex. Additional gable beyond,
with brick mullioned windows. 3 parallel gables to left of
hall range similarly detailed, the inner gable having wide
mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, and mock
framing in gable apex with coving. Outer gable echoes the
detailing on the C17 front wing it adjoins, with stepped
mullioned window in the attic, but the dressings are
terracotta rather than stone.
INTERIOR: the main hall has been restored open to its roof.
Spere-truss divides the former cross passage. Quatrefoil
panelling in screens wall beyond, which has three 4-centred
arched doorways to former service rooms, and coving above.
Hall has 2 principal bays, and moulded shafts carry cambered
tie-beam with king-post and panelling. Cusped wind-braces form
quatrefoil panelling in 3 tiers. Intermediate cambered
collars. Wall behind the dais framed in large irregular
panels. This wall said to be a survivor of the earliest
building on the site, a structure of the C14, with crown-post
roof surviving over 'Star chamber' in wing beyond. 'Star
chamber' behind dais end of hall has massive stone fireplace
which may also survive from this earliest building, but the
panelled ceiling, embellished with gilded stars, is probably