You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 471710  

Print Page



© Mr J J Sheridan LRPS

IoE Number: 471710
Location: STIRCHLEY PUBLIC BATHS, BOURNVILLE LANE
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr J J Sheridan LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 July 2001
Date listed: 20 November 1998
Date of last amendment: 20 November 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM BOURNVILLE LANE Stirchley 997/12/10208 Stirchley Public Baths GV II Swimming baths. 1910, by John P. Osborne. Red brick in Flemish bond and diaper pattern blue brick, and with stone dressings. Slate roofs. PLAN: Quadrant on plan, with main bath range on north with boiler house and chimney to west, tower to east and range to south and east with main entrance at centre of curved front. Edwardian Baroque style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. Long curved SE front with parapet and cornice, and rusticated stone aedicules with broken pediments containing festoons; moulded cill and cornice and rusticated stone entrance centrepiece with Ionic pilasters, broken pediment containing festooned cartouche inscribed A 1910 D, coved round-arch doorway with quadrant panelled double doors, flanked by small diamond-shape windows; small octagonal cupola above with consoles and inscribed Public Baths on drum, and lead-clad dome. Large gable end on right to main north range with moulded string, large semi-circular window with raised voussoirs and occulus on raised gable of ridge light, flanking broad rusticated pilaster on left and tower on right corner, with rusticated stone lower stage with cornice and broken pediment at front with occulus, and brick upper stage with two stone quoins on each corner, and parapet with moulded stone coping raised over corners, and with louvered cupola with shallow lead-clad dome. Chimney at rear west end of north range with round-arch panels and cornice. INTERIOR largely intact. Glazed tile pool, open to braced iron roof trusses and ridge-light; white glazed brick walls with red brick dressings; changing cubicles below and above balconies on side walls. Glazed screen at entrance, ticket hatches and glazed brick walls.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.