You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 472164  

Print Page



© Mr Jack Farley FRPS

IoE Number: 472164
Location: 9 COLLEGE GREEN (south side)
  GLOUCESTER, GLOUCESTER, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Jack Farley FRPS
Date Photographed: 12 August 2000
Date listed: 23 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GLOUCESTERSO8218NECOLLEGE GREEN844-1/7/73(South side)

GLOUCESTER SO8218NE COLLEGE GREEN 844-1/7/73 (South side) 23/01/52 No.9 GV II* House, the ground floor converted for use as offices. 1708-9, minor C19 and C20 alterations. Built by Samuel Ricketts, carpenter, in a leasehold agreement with the cathedral chapter. Grey-buff brick in header courses with red gauged and rubbed brick and stone details; parallel slate roofs, hipped to front and end-gabled at rear, brick stacks. A large double-depth block with an angled wing extending from the south-west corner which abuts the rear of No.10 College Green (qv). EXTERIOR: three storeys, attic and cellar; symmetrical front of five bays with a slight projection to the central three bays; offset brick plinth; at each end a giant Roman Doric pilaster with moulded red brick base and capital; crowning modillion cornice, which breaks forward above the central projection and the end pilasters, and a modillion pediment with a stone-framed and keyed oculus in the tympanum above the central projection; otherwise above the cornice a stone blocking course and stone capped brick parapet with piers at the outer corners. On the ground floor the central entrance doorway within a shallow Roman Doric porch of two fluted columns on base blocks, entablature and pediment; the doorway framed by pilasters applied to a rusticated surround and flat arch; the door has a diagonal-braced panel below and four fielded panels above. To either side of the doorway and to the first and second floors sashes of similar size with glazing bars (3x4 panes) in openings with red brick jambs, rubbed brick segmental arched heads set with stone key blocks, and projecting stone sills. The east side is blank except for the return of the crowning modillion cornice and parapet over the end of the front range and two C20 windows inserted on ground floor; the gable-end of the rear range projects slightly with a stack above. The rear elevation has a brick band at first and second-floor levels, boxed eaves and early C18 sashes; a central arched sash to the stairwell, on the first floor a sash to each side (3x4 panes) and on the third floor four sashes (3x3 panes), all in openings with rubbed brick flat-arched heads and projecting stone sills; three gabled dormers with pairs of casements. INTERIOR: wide central entrance hall, divided by transverse C20 screen to form inner lobby to offices and to residence; paved in limestone slabs in diamond pattern with small circular slate panels inset at corners; the hall opens into the stair well through a central, transverse, segmental arch supported on fluted pilasters, all in timber; open-well staircase with quarter landings rising to second floor, open strings, carved foliated end-brackets to broad treads, bottom curtail step, column newels, three column-on-vase balusters to each tread, ramped handrail, and stair dado with fielded panels between raised and capped styles on landings; in ground-floor room to left, original modillion cornices, in room to right in rear wall an alcove on each side of former fireplace, room at rear has fireplace framed in stone with basket arch on brackets at each end and set with a large, raised, triple keystone, in room to right in wing a fireplace for kitchen range with arch set with raised triple keystone stone, other original joinery. On the first floor the farther half of the original cross gallery incorporated in C19 into room to right (front left), within this room in angled corner an Adam style chimney piece, probably brought in, some remaining fielded panel dado and upper panels; in wall between front rooms a large opening with C19 folding-panel doors, the room to left with fielded-panel dado and upper wall panels, original chimney-piece with eared architrave to fireplace and panel above with moulded surround with paterae in corners, room to rear left with similar chimney-piece and some similar panelling, dentil cornices; on second-floor rooms have simple moulded cornices, some original joinery; attic with C18 fielded panel doors. A very fine early C18 house, the giant corner pilasters recalling the other work of provincial Baroque architects such as Smith of Warwick. (Eward S: No Fine but a Glass of Wine, Cathedral Life at Gloucester: Salisbury: 1985-: 316-7; BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-1980: 243).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.