You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 472174  

Print Page

© Mr Jack Farley FRPS

IoE Number: 472174
Location: CHURCH HOUSE, 16 COLLEGE GREEN (east side)
Photographer: Mr Jack Farley FRPS
Date Photographed: 02 July 2001
Date listed: 23 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 15 December 1998
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GLOUCESTER SO8318NW COLLEGE GREEN 844-1/8/83 (East side) 23/01/52 No.16 Church House (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN The Old Deanery) GV I Abbot's Lodging in the former Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, from c1325 the Prior's Lodging, from 1541 the Deanery of Gloucester Cathedral, and from 1941 diocesan offices, now offices, reception rooms and restaurant. Early and mid C12 with major additions and alterations in early C13, C14 and C15; refitted internally in late C16, extensively restored with some alterations, 1863 to 1870, by Fulljames and Waller for Dean Law; restoration c1962 by Waller and Ashwell. Ashlar and rubble, timber frame, lead and tile roofs. PLAN: three linked blocks. BLOCK 1: at south end adjoining the west end of the Cathedral Church (qv), built C12, comprises two parallel, front-gabled ranges; the narrow south range contains the slype, originally the monastic outer parlour, leading to the west alley of the monastic cloister, now the Cathedral Cloister (qv); above the slype the former chapel of the medieval lodging. In C15 the front of the south range set back to align with rebuilt west front of the Cathedral Church (qv). In the block's wider, northern range, on the ground floor an entrance lobby inserted c1200 and service rooms, originally on each of the upper floors a large chamber, later sub-divided. Linking the first block, at its north-west corner, to the second block is a large C14 polygonal stair turret. BLOCK 2: large and double-depth, originally a first-floor hall and chamber, aligned on a north-south axis and to the west of the first block; originally C13, but substantially rebuilt in C14, with courtyard at rear between the block and the west alley of the cloister. BLOCK 3: built against the northern end of the second block, is the eastern two bays of a C15, timber-framed, first-floor hall aligned east-west and reduced to present length in 1649, now known as the Parliament Room; the C15 timber-framed hall built above an undercroft incorporating C13 masonry walls from an earlier hall on the site. The northern side of the block faces Miller's Yard. EXTERIOR: two and three storeys. BLOCK 1: to right with coped gables to both ranges; the steeply pitched, front gable-end wall of the south range probably rebuilt in C15 reusing C12 and early C13 features: on the ground floor a doorway to slype with nook shafts and moulded semicircular arch, with C15 window tracery inserted in recessed tympanum above a richly-carved, segmental-arched door lintel, the timber, panelled door dated 1614; on the first floor a large, C19, early Perpendicular-style window of three-lights, the upper part of tracery infilled. To left a short, canted wall, with pierced, arcaded parapet, partly infills the re-entrant angle between the fronts of the two ranges. The gabled front of the north range, extensively restored in C19, of two bays; on the ground floor a C13 two-bay arcade with shafts to the jambs and richly moulded arches, each former opening infilled in C19 with window to left and doorway flanked by windows to right in C13 style; on the first floor two windows with outer jambs and semicircular arches of c1200, each infilled in C19 with a window of four arched lights with shafts to mullions and early C13 style plate tracery; on the second floor two large two-light windows, with C13 outer jambs with nook-shafts and moulded arches, the windows renewed in mid C14 with Perpendicular tracery and central transom; each window arch within an applied gablet, between the window gablets the head of the steeply pitched roof gable is decorated with a C12 blind arcade of five stepped panels with chevron moulding in the arches. To left of the front of the block a C14 polygonal stair turret of three stages, with offset plinth, a string course defining each stage, and crenellated parapet, in the lower stages in each face of the turret a slit window placed to accord with the ascent of the stair, and in the upper stage in each face a single light with trefoil head; at the junction of the turret with the south face of the second block a secondary C19 turret supported on a corbel in the angle, the upper stage capped by a small spirelet with finial supporting a cross. BLOCK 2: at its south-west corner has angle buttresses in two stages with weathered offsets and a string course at base of crenellated parapet, in the south wall on the ground floor three two-light C16 windows, on the first floor a large, C16, four-light window with arched lights and flat head with hoodmould; on the west side a projecting stack in three stages, the upper stage and three octagonal flues added in C19; on the first floor to right of stack a C15 two-light window, other windows to left inserted or altered in C19. BLOCK 3: to left comprises two bays of an end-gabled, timber-framed, first-floor chamber, which formerly extended further west; on the north side the upper floor is slightly jettied above C13 stone wall with altered fenestration; the first floor of two bays and close studding between lower and upper intermediate rails, the north-east corner post with carved tracery panels at the foot is supported on a small curved, moulded timber bracket; in each bay a canted oriel window restored c1960 on basis of surviving evidence; west gable-end wall of C17 square panel framing built to close the reduced hall. INTERIOR BLOCK 1: In the C12 southern block in the south, narrow, range is the slype with barrel vault in three bays defined by transverse ribs; on the upper floor the former abbot's chapel, now an office entered from north range, also has barrel vault with transverse ribs supported on wall shafts with scalloped capitals, and floor paved with C15 encaustic tiles. The north range entered through lobby formed as part of the remodelling of the front c1200; the lobby with quadripartite vault with transverse ribs supported on wall shafts with stiff-leaf and trumpet-scallop capitals; in room to north of lobby a C19 timber staircase replacing former C14 stair within the polygonal turret, in the turret wall at first-floor level a C15 stone lantern on corbel; on the first floor in the north range a two-bay lobby of c1200, the walls with shafts with capitals similar to ground floor lobby, but vaulting not carried out; to east of first floor lobby a former chamber with four C12 windows in the north wall, each window of two lights with jambs enriched with billet mouldings and chevron outer mouldings, the window heads altered. BLOCK 2: the first floor has two chambers on the west side of the inner lateral wall within the former C14 hall with open timber roof; two chambers formed probably in early C16 and comprise Laud Room to south end, and the shorter Henry Room at north end. The Laud Room has carved and moulded panelling, in a style similar to panelling in Red Lodge, Bristol, in five zones of square panels with frieze between the third and fourth zone and richly carved frieze and modillion cornice in crowning entablature, in each of the panels a recess framed by a semicircular arch supported by miniature fluted pilasters; doorcases with fluted Ionic pilasters on pedestals and entablatures, each door with panel in the centre similar to the wall panels but larger, and a panel above carved with radiating, fluted fan. The Henry Room has exposed timber roof framing with C16 painted decoration, and C16 fireplace. BLOCK 3: to north on the ground floor the beams are supported by central row of chamfered timber posts; on the first floor the Parliament Room with walls of exposed timber-framing and open timber roof with central truss with tie beam and secondary arched brace, collar trusses, two purlins to each side and two zones of slightly curved windbraces; in the south wall a C15 ashlar fireplace; now fixed onto the west wall are portions of a C15 wall painting removed from Little Cloister House (qv). (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 223-5; Country Life: Oswald O: Mediaeval Survivals at Gloucester: London: 1962-: 1421-5; Country Life: Oswald O: The Old Deanery, Gloucester: London: 1951-: 1102-6).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.