You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 472426  

Print Page



© Mr Giles Turner

IoE Number: 472426
Location: BISHOP HOOPERS MONUMENT, ST MARYS SQUARE (west side)
  GLOUCESTER, GLOUCESTER, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Giles Turner
Date Photographed: 18 February 2007
Date listed: 23 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GLOUCESTERSO8218NEST MARY'S SQUARE844-1/7/325(West side)

GLOUCESTER SO8218NE ST MARY'S SQUARE 844-1/7/325 (West side) 23/01/52 Bishop Hooper's Monument GV II Monument commemorating Bishop Hooper on the site where the bishop was burnt at the stake in 1555. 1861-63. By Medland and Maberley. Ashlar. A "tabernacle" canopy, in a Decorated Gothic style, containing a slightly larger than life size statue of the bishop by Edward W Thornhill of Dublin. Paid for by public subscription. EXTERIOR: square base, with moulded plinth and weathered top, rising from the base at each corner buttressed piers, crowned by pinnacles at each corner and on each side between the piers an open, foiled arch and gablet; all crowned by a tall, crocketed spire with finial; within the canopy on an arcaded base the standing statue of the bishop facing east.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.