You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 473129  

Print Page



© Mr David Easton LRPS

IoE Number: 473129
Location: THE LISTENING POST, 2 BEACH ROAD (north side)
  SELSEY, CHICHESTER, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr David Easton LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 May 2007
Date listed: 12 March 1999
Date of last amendment: 26 May 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SZ 5289 SE SELSEY EAST BEACH ROAD (North side) 23/10031 Number 2, The Listening Post II Sound mirror, now incorporated within house. 1916, converted into house by late 1930s. Sound mirror built of reinforced concrete, the shuttered lifts to the exterior clearly visible. House has slate-clad stud walls and corrugated asbestos roof, with 2-window front and window inserted into left-side wall; extensions to rear and right. INTERIOR: curved profile to mirror wall. HISTORY: This house incorporates a complete example of a sound mirror, built in 1916 (recorded as under construction in March of that year) and one of a series of listening posts built for the Admiralty along the south-east and north-east coasts. The attacks by the German Fleet on east coast ports in December 1914 had alerted the Admiralty to the need to provide early warning of future raids, soon underlined by the threat posed by Zeppellins to British ports and urban areas. The sound signal was reflected by the dish, via a duty observer armed with a stethoscope, to a microphone which enabled the course of the intruder to be plotted. These signal stations thus formed a precursor to the development of radar from 1936. Due to the obsolescence of the technology from the late 1930s, and later coastal clearance work and urbanisation, very few examples (such as Fulwell in Sunderland and the Hythe/Dungeness group in Kent) have survived. It also bears a very direct relationship, through its form and design, to its intended use and thus its technological and historical context. Source: (Chichester Observer, March 1916).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.