You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 475370  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA

IoE Number: 475370
Location: BLACK NEST HALL, BATH ROAD
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
Date Photographed: 30 May 2004
Date listed: 15 July 1999
Date of last amendment: 15 July 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 1302 WORTHING GRAND AVENUE 753/14/10036 Number 18 Black Nest Hall II Includes: Black Nest Hall, BATH ROAD, WORTHING. Barn, then house. C18 (reportedly 1728), dismantled, re-erected and converted 1926-7 by C P Munn and A Beresford Pite; 1960s addition; restoration and alterations c. 1975. Timber framed with herring-bone brick nogging; gables tile-hung with bands of fishscale tiles; concrete tile roof; brick chimneys. 6-bay barn with rear lean-to and opposing cart-entries, that at rear in midstrey. Converted to house with central open hall spanned by balconies at two levels to provide communication between rooms at either end; rear lean-to and midstrey retained, the latter housing stair. Converted in Tudor style, having: narrow panels and curved braces to framing; chamfered plinth; mullioned windows with leaded lights and casements, windows at left ("solar") end having Tudor-arched lights; 2-storey canted glazed porch with mullions and transoms and Tudor-arched board door; large decorative chimneys. 2 storeys and attic; 6 framed bays. Mid-rail of timber frame concealed by decorative lead band with vine and grape motif. Entrance to bay 3. Windows of 3, 4 and 6 lights to ground floor; 4, 3 and 3 lights above, the framing and window to first -floor left bay replacing former glazed screen wall of internal balcony. Single, pedimented, 3-light attic dormer with console-bracketed eared architrave. Lead rainwater pipes. Roof has weather vane and large chimney on left with coupled diagonally-set stacks with moulded heads; another stack to rear of 5th bay. Addition on right has re-set 1920s window and rainwater pipe, and board door. Further mullioned windows to rear and returns. Interior: timber frame has large-scantling unjowelled wall-posts, large arched braces to tie-beams; rectangular panels; midrail; queen-post roof with principal and common rafters and staggered butt purlins. Exposed brick walls at either end of open hall with large Tudor-arched fireplaces and Tudor-arched openings. Wooden open-well stair. Wide floor-boards. Linenfold and board doors. Wooden balusters to balconies. Decoratively-painted wind dial in attic. Re-used C19 panelling to lower ceiling in hall and lower balcony. The original barn was located at Dunsfold, Surrey. A good-quality house of the 1920s exemplifying the Inter War vogue for embellishing genuine old buildings in a Tudor style.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.