You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 475527  

Print Page



© Mr Matthew Falcus

IoE Number: 475527
Location: MARSKE HALL, REDCAR ROAD (north side)
  SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE, REDCAR AND CLEVELAND, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Matthew Falcus
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 13 April 1967
Date of last amendment: 13 April 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE NZ6322SW REDCAR ROAD, Marske 802-1/5/16 (North side) 13/04/67 Marske Hall (Formerly Listed as: SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA REDCAR ROAD, Marske By The Sea (North side) Marske Hall) GV I Country house, now Cheshire Foundation nursing home. 1625 with late C19 alterations, for Sir William Pennyman. Additions and alterations from 1963 for the Cheshire Foundation. MATERIALS: coursed squared stone with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles except for towers, which have stone roofs. PLAN: E-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with 3-storey towers; 9-bay range, arranged 1:3:1:3:1; symmetrical except for wider left tower. End and central towers project, and linking sections have central full-height canted bay windows. All windows stone with chamfered surrounds, mullions and transoms. Central boarded door in plain reveals and stone lintel, with glazing bars in mullioned 2-light overlight. 2-light windows above door, on 3 floors in right tower, in left tower 2 windows; link sections have 4-light window flanking bays of 12 lights, arranged 2:2:4:2:2. Cyma recta hood strings except in left tower where fenestration breaks through-floor levels; on left returns of central and left towers where there are none. High roof has parapet with carved putti corbels to projections between small raised segments over windows between towers; convex pyramidal roof to central and right towers; left has ogival eaves to similar roof. Single dormer behind each canted bay and 2 in bay to right of door, all with flat heads. Stepped chimneys at right eaves, at rear of main roof and on rear ranges. Left return has restored 2-light ground-floor window towards front, a 2-light window towards rear of first floor and 2-light mullioned attic windows, the lower lights wider and the upper blocked, to front of centre of gable peak. Right return has massive chimney stack, a second projection of unknown purpose and mullioned and later windows, the latter in rebuilt section. Rear shows single storey kitchen was extended and raised to 2 storeys, probably late C19. Carved arms of Pennyman impaling Atherton, eroded, over right projecting bay window; metal sundial above door c1900 with Latin motto `Vigila oraque' and date 1679. INTERIOR: tower porch has ashlar wall on left with 3 round-headed niches. Electric lift inserted in left turret. Ground-floor hall oak panelled, with stone arcade of 2 elliptical arches running from porch to rear service passage; Corinthian capitals and base spurs to round piers with entasis; richly carved spandrels and keystones, with vines, trefoil leaves, grotesques and coats of arms - one of Pennyman. At right, new door broken through for passage to rear; panelling re-used to block door to front right room. Late C19 stone fire at rear left has C17 style arcaded wood overmantel and shallow wood hood. Wide beams front-back; joists visible. Keyed round arch at rear, to right of service passage, to early C18 open well stair in rear wing with 2 urn and skittle balusters on each tread, shaped tread ends, ramped grip handrail and turned newels; some renewed balusters; panelled ramped dado. Original stair was probably in left tower. Kitchen to left of service passage has narrow and wide elliptical firearches in front wall; dairy to left shows external masonry now within dairy and blocked yard arch. First floor has front to rear panelled passage on lines of beams in ground floor. Attics show right tower closet has chamfered jambs to door, with stops cut away; central tower has C20 door; left tower has wall removed for insertion of access to lift, but beam cut away shows position of door. Attic probably originally a long gallery. Central dormer in each side has C17 hinges to casements. Many C18 6-panel doors throughout; C17 L- and H-hinges in attic floor. Roof shows collar and purlins as of A-trusses. HISTORY: Royal Flying Corps quarters during WWI; Army quarters during WWII; school 1948-58. (Cleveland County Council: Typescript notes `Marske Hall'; VCH: Yorkshire North Riding, vol II, 1923: 399-40).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.