© Mr Brian L Crossley LRPS
SYNAGOGUE, ST JAMES'S SQUARE (south of)
CHELTENHAM, CHELTENHAM, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Mr Brian L Crossley LRPS
05 July 2004
05 May 1972
Date of last amendment:
05 May 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SO9422SE ST JAMES'S SQUARE
630-1/13/840 (South side (off))
Synagogue. 1837-9. By WH Knight. Builder, Mr Hastings.
Classical stucco facade with Roman Doric pilasters forming a
vestigial terastyle portico with entablature and pediment.
EXTERIOR: central entrance has double doors with Doric
pilasters and dentil entablature; single elliptically-arched
window over with eared architrave on feet and with keystone.
Top lighting for the interior in the form of a glass dome.
INTERIOR: entirely unaltered with grained woodwork. Fittings
taken from a demolished synagogue in Leadenhall Street,
An outstanding example of a small provincial English
(Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883:
Cheltenham: 1979-: 32; Sladen T: Notes: 1995-).