You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 476083  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 476083
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, JUNCTION ROAD (north off)
  BOLTON, BOLTON, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 27 February 2002
Date listed: 23 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 April 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BOLTONSD60NEJUNCTION ROAD, Deane797-1/3/238(North side (off))

BOLTON SD60NE JUNCTION ROAD, Deane 797-1/3/238 (North side (off)) 23/04/52 Church of St Mary GV II* Parish church. Mainly late Perpendicular, but incorporating elements of an earlier building, and with clerestory added in 1833. restored c1880. Coursed and squared stone with shallow leaded roof. West tower, nave with clerestory and 2 aisles, themselves with clerestory windows. Chancel integral with nave. EXTERIOR: undivided west tower, with ogee arched west doorway and 3-light traceried window above. Paired bell chamber lights, and clock in moulded stone surround on the south face. Embattled parapet with angle pinnacles. South aisle clearly added, as quoins of original nave wall visible in western elevation. South porch with 4-centred arched entrance, embattled coped gable with finials. 5 clerestory windows to aisle, of 3 and 4-lights, round headed in chamfered rectangular openings. Similar lower windows, and a segmentally arched window of 3-lights east of porch. Blocked doorway in 4-centred moulded archway towards the east. Embattled parapet. Nave clerestory forms continuous band of 10 windows, each of 3-lights in chamfered rectangular openings. North aisle similar to south, extended by one bay to west and with north door in moulded arch with hoodmould. Higher chapel to east of north aisle, alongside chancel. Massive east window of 7 lights divided by transom to chancel, and wide 5-light window in its south wall. INTERIOR: 5 bay arcade, with octagonal shafts and double chamfered arches; the 2 north-west bays appear to be somewhat earlier, and have primitive beasts heads carved on the capitals; north arcade lower than the south, suggesting that it is an earlier construction (external evidence for for addition of south aisle supports this). Moulded tie beams carried on wall posts sprung from corbels. Western tower arch, with canopied screen incorporating clock. Traceried screen divides eastern bay of south aisle to form small chapel. Undivided chancel. Organ to north of chancel in richly carved canopied case; Timber reredos occupies entire east wall of chancel, forming arcade of canopied niches. FITTINGS: timber altar, with central low relief panel depicting the martydom of George Marsh in 1555; Jacobean pulpit. Pews and choir stalls all probably early C19, some with poppy heads. C18 candelabra over chancel steps, brass, with globe and branching scrolled candle holders. STAINED GLASS: east window by William Warrington, 1845, the apostles, medieval style. South aisle, south-east window, Kempe, 1907; First World War memorial window, unattributed, medieval style depiction of British patron Sts; Sunday School window, 1865, in memory of Elisabeth Heelis, unattributed, medieval style. North aisle includes a window of 1887, mem. John Kynnaston Cross, Pre-Raphaelite style, but unattributed, and the George Marsh memorial window, 1897.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.