© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
SMITHILLS HALL, SMITHILLS DEAN ROAD (east off)
BOLTON, BOLTON, GREATER MANCHESTER
Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
30 September 2007
23 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
23 April 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SD61SE SMITHILLS DEAN ROAD
797-1/1/217 (East side (off))
23/04/52 Smithills Hall
Large house, part now museum, the rest vacant on inspection.
Origins as a medieval hall house, early C14, extended C15 or
early C16 with the addition of an east wing; west wing a late
C16 addition, remodelled when the house was extended westwards
by Devey c1875.
MATERIALS: original building is of roughly coursed and squared
rubble, with timber-framed internal partitions. East wing
timber-framed in west elevation, stone to east. West wing and
C19 ranges all coursed and squared stonework, with some
decorative timber framing in C19 additions. Stone flagged
EXTERIOR AND PLAN: hall range with 2 cross wings to 'bower' or
parlour and service ranges east and west. Chamfered arched
doorways opposed in north and south elevations, enclosed in
porch to north; single 5-light mullioned window (re-cut) in
north elevation, the round-headed mullioned lights in the
south elevation also re-cut. 6-light stone mullioned window in
north gable of parlour wing, with wood mullioned windows of 3
and 5 lights above; lower doorways inserted. Timber mullioned
windows of 5 and 7 lights to south. Heavy king post truss with
studding and tension braces exposed in gable ends of this wing
to north and south, and square panelled framing with arched
bracing in south elevation.
Service wing to west has coved timber-framed gable, the upper
6-light mullioned window and the 4-centred arched doorway,
mullioned window and subsidiary door below, all re-cut.
East wing built out from corner of original range and with
corridor on west side on each floor.
Garden front of 2 storeys, 3-window range with full-height
square bay window towards south, timber-framed with mullioned
and transomed windows. Stone mullioned window in narrow bay to
left, and 3-light mullioned window on each floor to right.
Doorway (now disused) to left.
Chapel as gabled range to south, with 5-light east window, and
3 window southern return, all mullioned and transomed. Doorway
in west gable return, with 4-light mullioned and transomed
Western elevation of wing is framed in ornamental panelling
with quatrefoils and is continuously fenestrated (to gallery)
at first floor, with wood mullioned and transomed windows;
mullioned and transomed windows below of 6 and 8 lights (one
replacing a doorway in the mid C20). Coving to eaves, and
small gabled projection to north, housing stairs.
West wing east elevation as remodelled by Devey with arcaded
6-bay passage way to ground floor, timber framing forming
large braced square panels above. 4-window range including 2
canted oriel windows. Stone south gable, showing earlier
construction, with stone mullioned windows (re-cut) on each
North elevation of this wing refenestrated in C19, but a
blocked chamfered arched doorway survives from the original
plan, in its east wall.
West range beyond also apparently partially C16, extended by
Devey. Earlier section comprised 3-window range to the right,
with 2-light mullioned windows on each floor, and small gables
over each bay. Datestone (probably re-sited) of 1579 with
initials 'R.B.'. C19 extension forms a 2-window range using
similar style. Beyond, a wider gabled wing projects and a
single storey range with 5-sided canted bay window with
central oriel light and ball finials to parapet links to 2
asymmetrical timber-framed gabled wings, with 3-light
mullioned and transomed windows in right-hand gable, and
semi-circular oriel in left, above doorway.
The north elevation of this range formed the main entrance
front, with a storey porch, timber-framed over stone with
round oriel window above. 2-window range to left of porch. C16
west wing also extended towards the north-west with the
addition of a parallel gabled range.
INTERIOR: great hall of 4 bays, collar trusses, one
arch-braced, with upper king posts; cusped wind-braces, and
spere truss at west end; octagonal posts with crown capitals
and quatrefoil panelling to spere. 4 chamfered arched doors in
service wall to west of former cross passage. The square
panelled east and west walls have arch and tension bracing
forming trefoiled and quatrefoil panels. Antechamber and
'bower' to east, with deep moulded beams panelling ceiling
(probably C15 insertions?). Massive stone chamfered arched
side wall stack in parlour. Heavy king post roof with raking
tie-beams in upper chamber. Heavy braced collar truss in small
wing to east.
East wing has long withdrawing room to ground floor
(partitioned to south in C19 to form vestry for chapel which
terminates this wing to the south). C16 wall panelling, an
enriched linen fold design incorporating busts and emblems of
the Barton family in low relief. The panelling was removed
from the room in the C19, and re-instated C20. Chapel built as
cross wing to south, and reconstructed after a fire c1856:
gallery over former vestry (now a transept) to north. Fittings
largely early C20, with late C19 stained glass incorporating
some C16 panels.
Interior of Devey's additions to the house not inspected.