You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 476280  

Print Page



©  Lorna Freeman

IoE Number: 476280
Location: WESTERN WING OF THE ROYAL ALBION HOTEL, GRAND JUNCTION ROAD (north side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Lorna Freeman
Date Photographed: 03 August 2005
Date listed: 05 August 1999
Date of last amendment: 05 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 3103 NW BRIGHTON GRAND JUNCTION ROAD (North side) 577-1/46/299 Western wing of the Royal 05.08.1999 Albion Hotel II Formerly known as: Lion Mansions Hotel GRAND JUNCTION ROAD. Includes: Western wing of the Royal Albion Hotel OLD STEINE Hotel. 1856. Stucco. Roof parapeted. Principal elevations to extension of Old Steine, north, and Grand Junction Road, south. EXTERIOR: north-facing elevation has a 6-window range and 4 storeys, with attic, over basement. Ground floor treated as rustication. Entrance in third-window range set under Doric prostyle porch with responds; above, first-floor balcony with pierced balustrade, on top of which a sculpture of a lion reclining. Segmental-arched windows to either side of entrance; all other openings are flat arched. In the first-, 5th- and 6th-window ranges is a canted bay, with tripartite windows, rising from the ground to the third floors. 4 giant pilasters of the Composite order rise from the first through the third floors, in the second- through 4th-window ranges. Each first-floor window set in a Tuscan aedicule; second-floor windows have architraves and are topped by alternating segmental and triangular pediments; both first- and second-floor windows are floor to ceiling; architraves to third-floor and attic windows. Entablature between third floor and attic. Cast-iron balconettes to first-floor and bay windows; cast-iron railings to areas on all elevations. The rest of the building follows the irregular site along Pool Valley to Grand Junction Road. Grand Junction Road elevation has elaborately faceted plan with a 7-window range: ranges one through 3 turn the corner; range 4 angles sharply back to form a full-height aris; ranges 5 through 7 set into facets of full-height canted bay to right party wall. Rustication to ground floor. All openings flat arched with architraves; the triple windows to the full-height bay at the right-party wall have no architraves. All first- and second-floor windows have cast-iron balconettes of a mid to late C19 design. Second-floor windows with pediments. Entrance at base of "V" formed by conjunction of ranges 4 and 5; it is set under a tetrastyle portico with columns paired at corner to give a broad centre gap; the plan of the portico is segmental, following. Pool Valley elevation: 4-window range. Full-height canted bays. Storey bands between all floors. On both elevations there is an entablature with dentil cornice between third floor and attic and a plain entablature band to attic. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: a green plaque to the right of the Grand Junction Road entrance reads: "William Ewart Gladstone, 1809-1898, often stayed at this Hotel, then known as Lion Mansions Hotel". Specifically excluded from this listing is the structure to the right of the Grand Junction Road elevation: it has 6 storeys with attic and 2 full-height, shallow canted bays rising from an enclosed, ground-floor porch. The structure was built on the site of William's Baths. Prior to its incorporation in the Royal Albion Hotel in 1963, it was also known as the Adelphi.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.