© Dr Ann Allen ARPS
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GATES AND LAMPS, BLOOMSBURY WAY (north side)
CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON
Dr Ann Allen ARPS
19 October 2006
24 October 1951
Date of last amendment:
24 October 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3081NW BLOOMSBURY WAY
798-1/100/113 (North side)
24/10/51 Church of St George and attached
railings, gates and lamps
Church. 1716-1731. By Nicholas Hawksmoor. Re-ordered 1781,
restored 1870 by GE Street and 1972-4 by Lawrence King. Stone
faced brick. Rectangular plan of 6 bays.
EXTERIOR: principal south facade with hexastyle Roman
Corinthian portico on a podium approached by a broad flight of
steps. Arched ground floor openings with segmental-headed
To the west a tower (originally providing a conventional west
entrance) with recessed arches on 3 sides, clock, tetrastyle
portico to each facade of the belfry, surmounted by a stepped
steeple terminating in a sculptured statue of George I in
North facade, facing Little Russell Street, pedimented, 2
storeys of partly blind arcading on a podium with steps to
entrances either side. Podium with 5 square-headed openings
with massive keystones. 1st floor with Corinthian pilasters
supporting entablature, 2nd with Corinthian half-columns.
Lunette in pediment.
INTERIOR: now north-south orientated. Paired Corinthian
columns supporting an entablature and elliptical arch at the
south end, behind which a panelled timber gallery and organ.
Vestibule below. East wall with small apse (originally for the
altar), the moulded and gilded ceiling decoration of pelican
and scallop shell flanked by mitres and croziers with winged
cherubs in clouds above by Isaac Mansfield. West wall with
round-headed entrance to vestibule in the base of the tower
and staircase to small round-headed gallery with wrought-iron
balcony (originally for the gentry's servants). Current north
chancel emphasised by double elliptical arches on entablatures
with paired Corinthian columns. (Hawksmoor's design had
galleries between these columns to emphasise the east-west
orientation.) Original reredos - an aedicule with Corinthian
columns and broken pediment. 5-sided, panelled and carved
mahogany pulpit also original.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings and gates to
frontage. Flanking the steps, attached C19 lamps with Windsor
lanterns surmounted by cast-iron models of the stepped steeple
original design which included lions and unicorns at the base.
HISTORICAL NOTE: St George's was sanctioned by the Fifty New
Churches Act of 1711 to relieve parishioners of the northern
part of St Giles-in-the-Fields parish from having to cross the
notorious Rookery district. The stepped steeple was inspired
by Pliny's description of the Tomb of Mausolus at