You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 476823  

Print Page



© Mr Jason Wen

IoE Number: 476823
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CAMDEN ROAD (north side)
  CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Jason Wen
Date Photographed: 04 February 2007
Date listed: 10 June 1954
Date of last amendment: 10 June 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CAMDENTQ2883NECAMDEN ROAD798-1/76/157(North side)

CAMDEN TQ2883NE CAMDEN ROAD 798-1/76/157 (North side) 10/06/54 Church of St Michael II* Church. Nave & aisles 1880-1, chancel 1893-4 by GF Bodley and T Garner. Vestries added 1908. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings; tiled roof. 7-bay aisled nave with clerestory and sanctuary. Decorated Gothic style. North-south orientated. EXTERIOR: entrance on (liturgical) north facade, where tower originally intended. Liturgical west end fronting road with pointed 5-light traceried window above which a belfry in the gable apex; stone and brick bands flanking window and clasping buttresses at angles. Flanking aisle ends with pointed 2-light traceried windows, right hand with ogee doorway and hood-mould. Flying buttresses over aisles, above which a pointed 3-light traceried window to each bay. Projecting vestries at (liturgical) south-east corner. INTERIOR: of stone with continuous, stenciled waggon roof to nave and chancel, vaulted above north chapel, from liturgical east to west broken by stone arches (necessitating the external flying buttresses). 5-bay nave with aisles, 3-bay chancel with shorter north chapel, south chancel aisle filled by organ and passage to vestries. No chancel arch, a manner much preferred by Bodley in his later churches. Chancel retains altar from 1880-1, and reredos with stencil work and Christ in Majesty, set on Bodley's favourite marble steps; sedilia on south wall. Brass in chancel floor to Edward Bainbridge Reynolds, incumbant, d.1907. Parclose screen between chancel and chapel of 1893-4, filled with stone tracery to Bodley's design in 1898. Chapel with easter sepulchre having gilded canopy and hanging lamp, altar and reredos with marble panels. Organ in south aisle purchased 1932. The church given dado panelling to Bodley's characteristic design in 1893-4; this links the new and old work. Reading desk and pulpit on line of chancel steps. Statue of St George, 1939. Floor is several steps below the level of Camden Road, with stone flags to aisles. Vestries in more perpendicular style. Clergy vestry panelled with vestment chests. The choir vestry simpler, but retains vestment chest. box. HISTORICAL NOTE: the "beauty of proportion and whiteness" of the interior determined the young Ninian Comper (later a pupil of Bodley) to become an architect. An intended massive tower was never built. Listed grade II* for interior. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 137).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.