You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 477027  

Print Page



©  Peter Fuller

IoE Number: 477027
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CROMER STREET (south side)
  CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Peter Fuller
Date Photographed: 05 August 2004
Date listed: 14 May 1974
Date of last amendment: 14 May 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CAMDENTQ3082NWCROMER STREET798-1/90/282(South side)

CAMDEN TQ3082NW CROMER STREET 798-1/90/282 (South side) 14/05/74 Church of the Holy Cross II Anglican church. 1887-88. By Joseph Peacock. For the Rev. Alfred Moore. Font said to be a design by JL Pearson. Charles Nicholson added a rood beam, west organ loft, canopy over altar, and other features c1913. In 1936 some fittings brought from nearby St Jude's, which was demolished in that year. Yellow stock brick in Flemish bond, inside with red banding; stone dressings inside and out. Roofs of tile. Crypt. Single-storey extension to ritual east added after 1945, not of special interest. EXTERIOR: chancel of two bays, north and south chapels, treated as diminutive transepts, the latter serving originally as an organ chamber. Aisled nave of four bays. Narthex of one shallow bay, entered through north and south porches. Spare Early English style with lancet lights used almost exclusively. The most unusual feature of the outside is a nearly full-height narthex topped by a over-scaled bellcote, the gabled roof of the west end rising behind and pierced by a simple roundel. Consecration cross set in west face of narthex; Great War Memorial Cross to west of north porch entrance. Clerestory with four lancets to each bay, the aisled bays below with two lancets each. Transept faces with two lancets below rose window. East end of five lancets. The exterior has a quirky and aggressive style that is associated with Peacock. INTERIOR: the interior, by contrast, is very spare and elegant, the proportions subtly adjusted; the nave is exceptionally broad for its length and the aisles very wide. Elevated choir and sanctuary, paved with red and black tiles set diagonally; enclosed by simply wood screen which may be attributed to Nicholson. Painted wood canopy over site of original altar, which has been brought forward by approximately one metre. Otherwise the liturgical setting has not been modernised. Along sill of east window a blind stone arcade, painted, the blank areas filled with paintings which have slightly faded. Chancel arch ends in unusual corbel stops; painted rood beam with figures intact, sitting just west of chancel arch. Metal gates and screens to side chapels, that to north with sanctuary of one shallow bay lit by tripartite east window filled with glass depicting the Virgin Mary; the stone of the window painted and blind side lights filled with adoring angels; this said to have been partially repainted in the 1970s but to an original design. Nave paved with wood blocks, set herringbone fashion along line of central aisle. There are moveable benches to nave of exceptionally fine late Victorian design; the wood pulpit at ritual north-east is of a Jacobean design and may incorporate early C17 woodwork. There is a boarded, pointed barrel vault to the chancel; lean-to roofs to nave aisles carried on pointed transverse arches irregularly set; one of the great glories of the interior is the braced king post roof in which the common rafters form scissor braces to the king post purlin. The west end of the nave is spanned by a single overscaled pointed arch, the spandrels pierced by one roundel each; the narthex set off under this arch, its west wall treated as 3-bay blank arcade, the centre recess of which serves as Baptistery. West organ gallery installed under west arch; its console moved early 1990s to north-west corner of the nave. Most glass opaque except for east window, north chapel, already noted, and two windows in the south aisle, east end. Mosaic Stations of the Cross fixed to the walls.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.