You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 477693  

Print Page



©  Lorna Freeman

IoE Number: 477693
Location: 26 PANCRAS ROAD (east side)
  CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Lorna Freeman
Date Photographed: 27 September 2006
Date listed: 30 January 1976
Date of last amendment: 30 January 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CAMDEN TQ3083SW PANCRAS ROAD 798-1/85/1265 (East side) 30/01/76 No.26 GV II Gymnasium and library, now offices & gymnasium. 1864-65. By Edward Gruning. For the German Gymnastic Society. Built by Piper and Wheeler. Multi-coloured stock brick. Rectangular plan with narrow, slightly projecting entrance frontage to Pancras Road. EXTERIOR: frontage 3 storeys 1 window. Stucco door surround of pilasters supporting a dentil entablature with segmental pediment. Round-arched doorway pilaster jambs supporting an architrave with keystone; fanlight and C20 panelled doors with small lights. 1st floor, recessed 4-pane sash with stuccoed lintel with mask; 2nd floor, round-arched 4-pane sash with stuccoed head. Moulded brick cornice and blocking course. North and south elevations with brick pilasters dividing bays (rectangular windows), 1st floor brick bands and deep Lombard frieze at eaves level; brick gables. Hipped roof with continuous lantern along the ridge. Gabled east elevation with gabled brick porch, 5 pointed arch windows above which an oculus, very deep Lombard frieze and enriched brick cornice. To the left, a staircase tower with narrow lights (those at base bricked up) and Lombard frieze. INTERIOR: narrow entrance hall with Imperial stair (2 flights then 1) the entire width of the hall. Gymnasium a single cell subdivided into nave and aisles by 2 storeys of cast-iron piers with lush early English foliage capitals. The piers support arched, laminated wood roof trusses some 20m wide, as experimented with but replaced at King's Cross Station, Euston Road (qv). A second floor has been inserted at gallery level providing office accommodation. An important early example of the use of laminated timber to give broad spans.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.