© Ms Frances Ottaway
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR, QUEEN SQUARE (west side)
CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON
Ms Frances Ottaway
03 February 2006
24 October 1951
Date of last amendment:
24 October 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3081NW QUEEN SQUARE
798-1/100/1365 (West side)
24/10/51 Church of St George the Martyr
Church. c1706. Built by Arthur Tooley, repaired late C18.
Recast 1867-9 by SS Teulon and restored 1952 and 1989. Stucco
with rusticated lower portion. Single storey, rectangular plan
with chancel to the south added by Teulon who almost entirely
altered the exterior.
EXTERIOR: Queen Square facade with Gothic porch to right of
pedimented central projecting bay with 3 buttresses, the
central buttress forming a column between two architraved,
round-headed windows and an architraved oculus above.
Buttresses surmounted by statues of praying angels. Beneath
the windows 4 roundels containing carved reliefs of the
symbols of the 4 Evangelists. To either side of this bay, 3
rounded-arched, traceried windows. Entablature and projecting
cornice. Cosmo Place return pedimented with central
round-arched entrance and 4 windows. Over west end, small
square-plan tower with Gothic canopies (east face shielding a
clock), and surmounted by zinc covered spirelet with louvred
INTERIOR: also remodelled, the present column and roof system
being inserted by Teulon who took down all the galleries save
that to the north which he retained and remodelled.
Fittings: the fine original reredos was retained on the east
wall when Teulon reordered the church with a new south chancel
with full fittings including a reredos with mosaic inlay.
Stalls, pulpit, lectern, parclose screen and altar rails also
by Teulon; other fittings include font, organ and case.
HISTORICAL NOTE: St George the Martyr was built as a chapel of
ease for St Andrew's, Holborn, and became a parish church in