You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 478398  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Jackson

IoE Number: 478398
Location: DOMINION THEATRE, TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD (east side)
  CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Brian Jackson
Date Photographed: 26 January 2005
Date listed: 10 October 1988
Date of last amendment: 10 October 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CAMDEN TQ2981SE TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD 798-1/104/1643 (East side) 10/10/88 Dominion Theatre GV II Theatre. 1928-29. Designed by W and TR Milburn. Steel-framed construction with Portland stone facade. EXTERIOR: narrow facade of 3 main bays; recessed entrance doors to full width of facade. Wooden doors, glazed in panels to full height, enriched with carved moulding, beneath projecting canopy facade above with pilaster strips to corners and projecting centre of 3 bays. Bases of pilaster strips with sculptured plaques with masks. Facade above concave in shape, with 3 square headed apertures filled with decorative wrought-iron work. Simple cornice band above, slightly raised to centre. INTERIOR: grand 2-storey entrance foyer with flights of stairs to left and right linking to central balcony; stripped Classical detailing and original pendant lights. Circle lounge and lower circle lounge with similar detailing. Auditorium with two galleries (one disused) also with Roman Classical detailing to walls and ceiling having 2 tiers of galleries and round cornered boxes (upper pair never seated) to left and right of proscenium. Original light fittings. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Dominion Theatre is a grand composition which embodies a transitional phase in the history of theatre design, incorporating the broad plan and decorative detailing more usually associated with cinemas of the period though always intended primarily for theatrical use. (Architects' Journal: 2 October 1929; Architect & Building News: 4 October 1929).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.