You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 478529  

Print Page

© Mr Steve Kirkland

IoE Number: 478529
Location: CAMDEN TOWN HALL, JUDD STREET (east side)
Photographer: Mr Steve Kirkland
Date Photographed: 02 April 2006
Date listed: 19 April 1996
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CAMDEN TQ3082NW EUSTON ROAD 798-1/90/1752 Camden Town Hall 19/04/96 GV II See under: Camden Town Hall JUDD STREET. CAMDEN TQ3082NW JUDD STREET 798-1/90/1752 (East side) 19/04/96 Camden Town Hall GV II Includes: Camden Town Hall EUSTON ROAD. Town hall. 1934-7. By AJ Thomas. Exterior clad in Portland stone ashlar over a steel frame on all 4 fronts. EXTERIOR: 3 main storeys. Channelled base, with plinth. Keystones over entrances carved by WCH King. Judd Street front: wings of 5 windows width, each with central aedicule and windows with alternating rhythm of channelled and unchannelled surrounds on first floor; projecting centre over entrances of three windows width with giant Corinthian order consisting of outer pilasters and inner attached columns rising to a full pediment embedded in raised attic with pitched roof. Euston Road front: 23 windows width, with wings of 5 windows width as in Judd Street and centre on the model of the Place de la Concorde with projecting pedimented pavilions as in centre of Judd Street front over subsidiary entrances flanking seven bays with giant Corinthian columns, and raised attic with pitched roof over whole centre. Tonbridge Street front: 23 windows width, with slightly recessed centre and raised attic of 13 windows width with pitched roof. East front: with single-storey ground-floor projection including side entrances on flanks, 3 round-arched windows on first floor in centre rising through second storey, and raised central attic of 3 windows width with pitched roof. INTERIOR: Judd Street entrance with black and white marble floor and deep-beamed ceiling. Main balustraded toplit staircase of white marble with dark marble pilasters and variegated marble panels on walls, branching and leading to Members' Lobby on first floor with polished marble Corinthian columns and variegated marble panels. First-floor corridors panelled throughout to impost level and plaster-vaulted in manner of London County Hall (qv Lambeth). Council Chamber in centre of building toplit, rectangular with side lobbies under galleries and giant Corinthian pilasters, oak-panelled to high level with plain frieze over and horseshoe arrangement of oak seating. Along Euston Road front at first-floor level, Mayor's Parlour oak-panelled to full height, lugged and pedimented doorcases and fine marble fireplace with burnished steel grate; Chief Executive's Room panelled to full height in Norfolk cedar with good fireplace; good panelled committee rooms. Assembly Hall on ground floor entered from Tonbridge Street, with foyer at south end, stage at north end with proscenium arch, deep south gallery and narrower west gallery communicating with Council Chamber. Light-fittings, fixtures and furniture throughout of a high standard, especially on first floor, and presumably largely designed by AJ Thomas. HISTORICAL NOTE: Camden Town Hall was designed as St Pancras Town Hall by AJ Thomas, a former assistant of EL Lutyens, the influence of whose Classical style pervades the building. Thomas designed several housing schemes for St Pancras Borough Council from 1924 onwards. (Architect and Building News: 25 June 1937: London; The Builder: 9 July 1937: London; The Building: July 1937).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.