You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 479546  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 479546
Location: THE DUTCH CHURCH, AUSTIN FRIARS
  CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 September 1998
Date of last amendment: 25 September 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

627/10/10163AUSTIN FRIARS15-FEB-00The Dutch Church

TQ 3281 SE AUSTIN FRIARS, EC2 627/10/10163 The Dutch Church 25-SEP-1998 II Church 1950-54 by Arthur Bailey, Reinforced concrete box frame clad externally in Portland stone ashlar and internally in Doulting stone. Hipped roof of slate to eaves cornice, with some lower flat roofs. Leaded fleche. T -shaped plan, with tall rectangular central space and low north aisle. Stepped north elevation in three levels with a projecting segmental headed doorway to right side, and projecting two-storey wing behind with cross in relief. Square headed 2-light windows at all three levels, tall to the middle tier. Recessed and moulded surrounds. Relief crest above each window, and above entrance. Rusticated half basement, also with 2-light square- headed windows. Tall fleche surmounts roof at junction of T -plan. This has tall delicate pilasters and an ogee dome topped by a spire. Weathervane and external stonework, the latter commemorating the beheading of Richard, Earl of Arundel in C14 (he was buried in the old church), by John Skeaping. The forecourt over the columbarium is edged with low stone walls and steps. It includes a fragment of one pier from the medieval church. Interior also ashlar lined with segmental headed arcades. Wall on liturgical south side articulated by fluted pilasters, the aisle with groin vaulting. Pews donated by the Protestant Nederduitsch Hervormde church of South Africa. Stained glass to many windows. The glass in the aisle by W Wilson, 1954-8, and includes commemorative memorial to the church's friendly associations with the Church of England and the Church of Scotland. To the north of the sanctuary is glass donated by the Worshipful Company of Carpenters, connected to the Dutch community since the fifteenth century. Opposite is glass donated by the Corporation of the City of London. Memorial window to Queen Wilhelmina, of 1962 of Rev. Kok. Three western windows by Max Nauta commemorate the history of the church and the sixteen English towns who permitted the Dutch community to worship in C16. Central timber pulpit raised on stone dais over altar stone from the medieval friary church on the site until 1940, with tall timber panel to wall behind and tester. Decorative brass chandeliers of traditional type, large to main space and small to the aisle. Matching wall lights. Organ built in 1954 by Willem van Leeuwen of Leidersorp, Holland, r~ached up spiral stair. Coffered segmental barrel ceiling. Stairs (with glass commemorating William and Mary) lead down to lower community hall, library and columbarium, the latter incorporating the ashes of bodies found on the site during excavation work in the late 19405. The Dutch church is the oldest foundation of any foreign denomination of England, and the oldest foundation of any protestant denomination, whether English or foreign. It received its charter in 1550 from Edward VI, and the Augustinian Friary he granted to it was restored to the community by Elizabeth I in 1560 after the community briefly took refuge in Emden, north Germany, during the reign of Mary I. The church was given the title the Mother Church in the early seventeenth century, and it has historic interest as a pioneering Presbyterian community and for its long continuity of worship in Dutch Friars. The present building replaced the medieval one; bombed on 15-16 October 1940. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 23 July 1950 by the ten year old Princess Irene of the Netherlands, symbolically commemorating the original foundation by the boy King Edward VI. The Dutch Church is a good example of a London church built for an expatriate congregation, combining Dutch and English craftsmanship and commemorating their history together in the City. Arthur Bailey was a leading exponent of the refined English classical tradition which continued to develop through the 19305 and 19505, and this is perhaps his finest work. The result of English, Dutch and South African patronage served to create one of the most lavish non- conformist churches to be built in England during the austere post-war years. U. Lindeboom: History of the Dutch Reformed Church 1550-1950; The Architects' Journal, 20/7/50, p57; The Builder 10/9/54]

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.