You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 479589  

Print Page



© Ms Emma Skeldon

IoE Number: 479589
Location: CHRIST CHURCH, NEW ROAD (west side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Emma Skeldon
Date Photographed: 01 October 2004
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3104SW NEW ROAD 577-1/40/571 (West side) 13/10/52 Christ Church II Unitarian chapel. 1820, altered in 1936 and refurbished in 1966. Designed by Amon Henry Wilds for John Chatfield. Brick faced with stucco on the main elevation; brick of mixed bonds on the returns which have a 4-window range to rectangular meeting hall with a west gallery. The shallow-pitched, gable-facing roof is of slate, renewed after the 1987 storm. To the rear is a large church room and kitchens from the early to mid C20, both of which are specifically excluded from this listing. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: the main elevation treated as a Greek temple front: a 3-step stylobate with short returns serves as a base for a tetrastyle portico of fluted Doric columns supporting a broad entablature; all soffits are plain. The front wall is bare with responds to the end columns only; between each column and front wall a thick lintel. The centre bay of the portico is wider than the sides forming a gap for the flat-arched entrance. The latter has a battered, eared architrave; Egyptian-Revival-style coved cornice over the entrance. The round-arched windows on the returns have projecting sills and are set back in deep reveals. Each window has 3 lights, the centre terminating in a roundel. At the top of the returns a brick entablature area. INTERIOR: the main church hall is roughly square in plan, with a broad coved cornice to a flat ceiling. In the ritual east wall are 2 flat-arched entrances with pediments. There is a ritual west gallery with simply parapeted front. Built for extra seating, this gallery is now used as a loft for the organ which dates to the late C19, when a wood dado was installed along the foot of the walls as well as wood benches, which have all been removed except for a set placed lengthwise along the side walls. There are 3 stained glass windows of interest: one pair, facing each other, in the second bay from the ritual east end. These are dated to 1888, and one commemorates a member of the Nye Chart family, which owned the Theatre Royal, New Road (qv) in the late C19 and early C20. In the easternmost window on the ritual north side is a WWI memorial window. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 107; A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton: Macclesfield: 1986-: 32, 1F).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.