You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 479628  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 479628
Location: ABBEY CONVENT, CHURCH STREET
  STORRINGTON, HORSHAM, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 17 February 2000
Date of last amendment: 17 February 2000
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STORRINGTON957/0/10023CHURCH STREET17-FEB-00Abbey Convent

STORRINGTON 957/0/10023 CHURCH STREET 17-FEB-00 Abbey Convent II Originally a rectory, later house and finally convent. Built in 1871-2 as a rectory by the Rev George Faithfull in Gothic style, reusing material from the 1621 Rectory which was demolished at this time. Alterations were made by a tenant (a Mr Bethel) in 1911 and a further tenant (Colonel Ravenscroft) made further additions including Billiard room, Ballroom of 1930 and guest suites all by John Leonard Denman. In the 1950s the house became a Dominican Convent and boarding school. EXTERIOR: 1871-2 north part built of coursed sandstone with tiled roof. Two to three storeys; 5 bays. Three southernmost bays have central first floor 4-light trefoil-headed window and large porch with arched doorcase with sundial and two lion finials above. End projecting gables with kneelers and finials. Right hand gable has attic mullioned window and first floor tall trefoil-headed mullioned and transomed window. Left hand gable has 2-light mullioned window to attic, triple mullioned window to first floor and 4-light trefoiled window to ground floor. Further two bays to north have gabled dormers and mullioned windows with hood moulding to ground floor. To the extreme north is a service wing of red brick wih crow-stepped gable. Rear elevation of 1871-2 wing has six windows.To left is section with triple window to first floor and 4-light trefoil-headed window to ground floor. Projecting gable to right with two storey 5-light trefoil-headed bay. 6-light central first floor window and triple window to first floor of right gable. Ground floor of Dining Room and Drawing Room have been extended out at ground floor. 5-light trefoil-headed window to former Dining Room and two triple mullioned and transomed casements and half-glazed door with strapwork decoration. Northernmost two bays have gabled dormers and the ground floor is concealed by a garden room with colonnade with three stilted arches. To the south are further additions, probably of c1911, timber-framed with cement rendered infill with tiled roof and stone chimneystack. Two storeys and attics. Gabled dormer windows, wooden mullions and gable with bargeboards, projecting to front. Rear has 8-light stone bay to ground floor. And former Billiard Room has C17 strapwork door dated 1623 with the initials WM. Adjoining brick staircase tower with three staggered lancets to first floor. Circa 1930 wing to extreme south is of brown brick in English bond with sandstone dressings with tiled roofs and timberframed gables. Front has projecting porch with cambered entrance and sidelights. Angled return has external chimneystacks and mullioned windows. Rear elevation has two storey bay to right with 6-light window to first floor and 8-light window to ground floor. This is flanked by flat-roofed part with two triple windows to first floor and doorcase with two-centred arch flanked by sidelights. South east side has timberframed gable with two storey bay beneath with 6-light window to first floor and 8-light window to ground floor with sundial to right. INTERIOR:Oldest part has former Dining Room (now Chapel) with good quality C19 linenfold panelling and frieze, plastered ceiling with strapwork ribs and stained glass windows. Drawing Room has early C18 panelling with dado rail, modillion cornice, corner china cupboard, fireplace with engaged columns and tiled surround with antique Delft tiles, iron fireback dated 1698 with initials NL and crown flanked by cherubs and heraldic glass to the windows. Former Library (currently Meeting Room) has C16 stone fireplace with foliated spandrels with shields and frieze of Tudor roses, portcullis, oak early C17 overmantel with 4 herms, two strapwork panels and C19 plank and muntin panelling. Elaborate oak main staircase with turned balusters and painted well staircase with turned balusters and chamfered square newel posts with ball finials. Service wing includes kitchen with white tiles and c1900 dreser and cupboards, three pantries, one with slate shelves and Cook's Office with tiled fireplace. Early C20 wing has Master's Study with stone fireplace with terms, oak panelling and built-in bench thought to have been used for tenants paying dues. Former Billiard Room has stone fireplace with grotesque masks and griffins with female heads. South wing has window in corridor outside ballroom dated H V Ravenscroft dated 1930. Former Ballroom has large stone fireplace with frieze with fish motif and spandrels have lyre and crossed keys. Cornice has frieze of beasts, there is a strapwork plastered ceiling and windows have heraldic glass. Oak dogleg staircase. Room above Ballroom has simulated open hall ceiling with oak beams. Several bedrooms have fireplaces with stone or tiled fireplaces, oak panelling and there are several bathrooms with original fittings. The former Nursery Wing has a galleried skylight on three sides and there is a cedar-lined linen cupboard. Original central heating radiators. [Pevsner BOE Sussex p343.]

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.