You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480061  

Print Page



©  Robert E Priest LRPS

IoE Number: 480061
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Robert E Priest LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 July 2000
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3009SW CHURCH HILL, Patcham 577-1/15/1001 (East side) 13/10/52 Church of All Saints GV II* Anglican church. Nave C12. tower C13 and chancel C14; restorations 1824-5, 1856, 1883, 1898 and 1989; north aisle and vestry added 1898. Flint with stone dressings, the walls all rendered except for the north aisle and vestry, which are of flint with brick bands and dressings; roof of tiles except to tower which is slated. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower, south porch and vestry. EXTERIOR: east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould; 2 lancets with trefoiled heads on south side of chancel; 2-light window with similar detailing to nave, east of porch; then a 2-light window with ogee heads under a flat hoodmould between porch and tower; east and west angles of the nave buttressed; east window to north aisle of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery, and a louvre window in apex of gable; 3 north windows, the easternmost as for east window of north aisle; the 2 western windows are of 3 lights with cinquefoil heads under a flat hoodmould, and one dates from the first half of the C19; stones from what appears to be a Norman doorway are in the north wall of the aisle; west window of north aisle curvilinear. West tower with massive angle buttressing at south-west corner; 3 narrow lancets in west face of tower and splay-footed spire. Gabled south porch with C14 pointed-arched entrance. INTERIOR: chancel reordered 1989, leaving a panelled dado at the east end and part of the side walls, of 1883 apart from the 'reredos', made from choir stalls dismembered in 1989; north wall has the chalk monument of Richard Shelley (died 1594) with grave-diggers flanking the family arms; chancel roof boarded and panelled; the chancel arch is round-arched with replacement impost blocks (1964) and a C13 wall-painting of Christ in Judgment remaining in part above it, and revealed in 1879; nave of 3 bays: octagonal piers with simplified water-leaf capitals supporting pointed arches with an inner order of stone, chamfered, and an outer order of moulded brick; queen-post roof to nave, probably of late C16 date; the level of the chancel floor extends into the nave following reordering in 1989. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Barrows A, Harben J & Oldfield E: All Saints' Patcham Church Guide and Parish History: Brighton: 1990-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.