You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480447  

Print Page



© Mr Colin David Broome

IoE Number: 480447
Location: METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, MONTAGUE PLACE (west side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Colin David Broome
Date Photographed: 03 July 2007
Date listed: 26 August 1999
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3203NW MONTAGUE PLACE 577-1/48/524 (West side) Methodist Church and attached railings II Methodist church, now recording studios. Dated 1873, the plans dated 1 March, 1872. Designed by Thomas Lainson and built by John Fielder for the Rev. Martin. Red and brown brick set in English bond, dressings of stone as well as light red and white brick. Roofs of slate, tower roof of lead. PLAN: continuous nave and sanctuary of 3 bays, vestry at ritual south-east corner (all directions given hereafter are ritual), tower of 3 stages at south-west corner with entrance, and stair turret at north-west corner; between the tower and stair turret an open porch of 3 bays with lean-to roof of slate. Adaptation of Italian Romanesque forms in characteristic High Victorian manner. EXTERIOR: the east end has 2 round-arched lights with jambs of brick chamfered; stone sill and voussoirs; stone drip moulds above each with floral stops. In the gable above is a blocked roundel in stone. One the remaining elevations the motif of paired, round-arched lights under brick relieving arch is repeated with different details and in different materials. South-east, single-storey vestry with 4 round-arched lights in stone, now partly blocked; relieving arch in light and dark bricks unties all 4. South elevation has 3 pairs of coupled, round-arched windows with chamfered brick jambs and arches which are subordered in stone; stone shafts with ballflower capitals separate each pair of lights; relieving arch above in white and light red brick. At the sill of the windows runs a continuous frieze of stylized flowers. The basement windows have brick, camber-arched lintels. South-east bell tower of 3 stages, square in plan with pyramidal roof splaying to short, octagonal spire; triangular dormer with bell louvres to each of the 8 faces. In the first stage a gabled porch to the south, with a round-arched entrance; window in west face of this is a window composed of 2, round-arched lights separated by a shaft with cushion capital, and set in a flush surround of stone with decorative patterns incised into the surface. All remaining windows round arched. There is a stone coved cornice and a brick corbel table below a parapet of light red and white bricks above. West elevation: Between the south-west tower and the north-west stair turret is an entry porch with a round-arched arcade of 3 bays supported by columns with pink granite shafts and moulded stone abaci; 3 round-arched windows above are linked by common architrave; former hood moulding stops have naturalistic ornament. Round-arched west entrance, subordered with moulded brick; stone tympanum has roundels carved with representations of the Paschal Lamb and flowers surrounded by grape vine. One round-arched window to either side of entry; paired, camber-arched windows to basement area. There is round-arched door set into the west face of the stair turret to the left; above are 3 stepped, round-arched lights; the turret terminates in a corbel table and lean-to roof ending just below the gable kneelers. The gable is filled with a wheel window. A stone plaque below the west window in the first stage of the tower bears the following, partially obscured inscription: "This memorial stone was laid by Daniel Pratt ?Soui??, October 7th, A.D. 1873, the Rev. Ieho? Martin, Pastor, Thos. Lainson Arch., John Fielder Builder, Hitherto Hath the Lord Helped Us". A timber-framed roof survives and can be inspected from the top-floor flat.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.