You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480509  

Print Page



©  Norman Wigg

IoE Number: 480509
Location: NORTH GATE OF THE ROYAL PAVILION AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Norman Wigg
Date Photographed: 01 October 2004
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3104SW CHURCH STREET 577-1/40/151 (South side) 13/10/52 North Gate of the Royal Pavilion and attached railings II* Gate. Dated 1832 on entablature. Architect, Joseph Good, perhaps working to designs by John Nash, for William IV. Bath and Portland stone. Copper onion dome over the gateway, the rest obscured by parapet. Tripartite composition, with tall, central portion containing the gateway flanked by 2 single-storey wings. Each part roughly square in plan. "Orientalised" Indian style. The north- and south-facing elevations are identical. In the centre an ogival diaphragm arch with scalloped intrados; at the point of the arch to the south are a crown and the Prince of Wales' feathers; a lion and a crown on the north. The entrance arch set within a shallow aedicule bordered by a cable moulding; a broad entablature above bears an inscription: W.R. IIII. A.D.MDCCCXXXII; corner octagonal piers to centre section of 2 stages, panelled in upper section and bearing Royal Heraldic symbols; top stage of each pilaster topped by a minaret; drip cornice and lotus parapet continuous around all sides, running over, in shallow relief, the corner pilasters; set back from parapet an onion dome with high finial; the returns of the centre section are blank. The single-storey wings are topped by a similar parapet, which is, however, interrupted by octagonal corner pilasters; the latter have finials in the form of tapering, fluted Tuscan columns each topped by an egg finial; aedicules in each face of the low wings have a scaled-down and blind version of the centre gate motif; each return has an ogival-arched window flanked by tall, thin rectangular light with keyhole lintels; each of these tripartite return windows has decorative glazing bars of an original early C19 design. On each interior gate return, a flat-arched door set in ogival-arched recess is flanked by a pair of ogival-arched windows; the former has an original 3-panel door, each panel fielded to form a 6-pointed star; the latter have sashes with decorative glazing bars of original design. The elevation of each interior return is treated as a blind, double-height ogival archway, repeating the gate motif. The ceiling of the gateway rises from scalloped pendentives to support a double-coved dome topped by a domical lantern. Double doors to Church Street, each of 8 panels and each panel fielded with a 6-pointed star. There is a pink granite drinking fountain on the north face of the east wing, of late C19 or early C20 date. Also included in this listing is an early C20 electric light fixture attached to the return of the west wing. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 161K).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.