© Robert E Priest LRPS
THE NORTH GATEHOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS PIERS AND RAILINGS, CHURCH STREET (south side)
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Robert E Priest LRPS
05 September 2001
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
26 August 1999
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3104SW CHURCH STREET
577-1/40/154 (South side)
13/10/52 The North Gatehouse and attached
walls, piers and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
North Gate House (The Office of the
Royal Pavilion Estate))
Gatehouse. Built c1774, redecorated and extended in 1832.
Stucco; brick in Flemish bond to single-storey north porch;
flint with brick dressings; roof of tile.
STYLE: exotic Asian style to harmonise with the North Gate
(qv) and Pavilion (qv).
EXTERIOR: the main elevation faces east; 3 storeys and 2
dormers over basement; single storey porch extension to Church
Ogival-arched entrance set within an aedicule designed to echo
the gateway and having octagonal corner pilasters, pinnacles
and lotus parapet. To either side of entrance a full-height
canted bay with tripartite windows; those to ground and first
floors are flat arched. All the other windows ogival arched.
Cornice and sill bands to bay windows in an orientalising
pattern. 2 flat-arched windows.
The left return has only one window, in the ground floor; the
rest of the elevation is windowless, covered in 2 stages of
blind ogival arches. Corner pilasters.
The return to Church Street is also covered with blind ogival
arches; 2 ogival-arched windows to first floor. Single-storey
entrance porch on Church Street, with ogival-arched entrance
and overlight with decorative glazing; octagonal corner piers
topped by minaret-like forms; cornice band; lotus parapet. A
single-storey wing with lotus parapet connects the Gatehouse
to the Art Museum and Library, Church Street (qv); along
Church Street a wall of flint pebbles and brick lacing
courses, stone coping and brick quoin strips. A pair of
octagonal stone piers framing alley walkway between Gatehouse
and Gate itself.
The Gatehouse was built as part of a terrace of 10 units,
referred to as the Marlborough. Nos 1-4 were demolished in
1820 and Nos 5-7 in 1821. No.9, owned by a blacksmith who
refused to sell his premises to the Prince's agents, was
demolished with the widening of Church Street. The Gatehouse
was presented by William IV to his sister Princess Augusta in
1830, and redecorated 2 years later. Since 1930 it has
provided offices for the Royal Pavilion, Museum, Art gallery
and Library (qv). It forms part of a most important group with
the Royal Pavilion (qv).
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 161M).