No Image Available
NUMBERS 38 AND 39 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, 38 AND 39 DEVONSHIRE PLACE (east side)
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
20 August 1971
Date of last amendment:
26 August 1999
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3104SE DEVONSHIRE PLACE
577-1/41/188 (East side)
20/08/71 Nos.38 AND 39
and attached walls and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos 37 & 37A, Nos 38 & 39)
Synagogue, now gymnasium. c1825. Built as a synagogue, along
with Nos 37 and 37A (qv), and enlarged as a residence and
school room in 1837 by David Mocatta. Stucco. Roof obscured by
3 storeys over basement. 4-window range. First- through
third-window ranges treated as a porticoed bay: giant Tuscan
pilasters rise from ground floor of banded rustication to
second-floor entablature; pediment above. Traces of an
inscription identifying the building as a synagogue still
visible on frieze of entablature. Entrance under the centre
bay of the portico is round arched with fanlight; this set in
plain aedicule which projects slightly from the front wall
plane. To either side is a segmental pointed-arch window. Bay
to right of portico has first-floor sill band and plain
entablature above. All windows are flat arched, those to the
second floor have projecting sills.
INTERIOR: not inspected. Walls and piers to stairs and area.
The synagogue was built to accommodate 50 people.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 167H).