You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480561  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 480561
Location: NUMBERS 38 AND 39 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, 38 AND 39 DEVONSHIRE PLACE (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 20 August 1971
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3104SE DEVONSHIRE PLACE 577-1/41/188 (East side) 20/08/71 Nos.38 AND 39 and attached walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: DEVONSHIRE PLACE Nos 37 & 37A, Nos 38 & 39) GV II Synagogue, now gymnasium. c1825. Built as a synagogue, along with Nos 37 and 37A (qv), and enlarged as a residence and school room in 1837 by David Mocatta. Stucco. Roof obscured by pediment. 3 storeys over basement. 4-window range. First- through third-window ranges treated as a porticoed bay: giant Tuscan pilasters rise from ground floor of banded rustication to second-floor entablature; pediment above. Traces of an inscription identifying the building as a synagogue still visible on frieze of entablature. Entrance under the centre bay of the portico is round arched with fanlight; this set in plain aedicule which projects slightly from the front wall plane. To either side is a segmental pointed-arch window. Bay to right of portico has first-floor sill band and plain entablature above. All windows are flat arched, those to the second floor have projecting sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. Walls and piers to stairs and area. The synagogue was built to accommodate 50 people. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 167H).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.