You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480637  

Print Page



© Mr Ron Garvey

IoE Number: 480637
Location: CHURCH OF THE SHEPHERD, DYKE ROAD (north east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Ron Garvey
Date Photographed: 03 July 2007
Date listed: 26 August 1999
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ20NE DYKE ROAD, Preston 577-1/3/1032 (North East side) Church of the Good Shepherd II Anglican church. The foundation stone at the west end is dated 1920 and several rainwater heads carry the date 1922; the east end was extended in 1927. Designed by Edward Prioleau Warren and built at the expense of Alice Mary Moor in memory of her husband Gerald Henry Moor, Vicar of Preston. Brown brick with dressings of stone and concrete, roof of tiles. PLAN: chancel and nave under one roof; south-east chapel, north-east vestry and chapel, north-west porch and south-west tower (all directions are ritual). EXTERIOR: the east end has a 5-light window under a 4-centred arch with one transom, the lower panels blank, the upper lancets being trefoiled and plain alternately; 3-light east window to cross-gabled south-east chapel; parapeted vestry and north-east chapel gabled to west; 4 aisle windows to either side, formed of 3 and 5 plain lancets alternately with buttresses between, and a number detailed in concrete; one broad hipped dormer to each side, and a deep bellcast to the roof over the aisles; gabled north-west porch. The west end has 5 stepped lancets detailed in concrete under a segmental pointed arch of 3 courses of stepped brickwork and a statue of the Good Shepherd in an ogee niche in the apex of the gable. The south-west tower has a pointed-arched porch with engaged columns, hollow-moulded archivolt and hoodmould; clasping buttresses with 2 offsets, and a polygonal stair tower at the south-west corner; deep offset over ground floor, first-floor windows are flat-arched pairs with pairs of narrow lancets above; another offset and then the bellstage with 2 pairs of lancets linked by a single hoodmould; cornice, embattled parapet, copper fleche with weather vane. INTERIOR: the interior is of brick plastered, and nave and chancel are under a single roof, the sanctuary, choir and nave distinguished only by steps and by a rood beam between nave and chancel. Nave arcade of 5 bays with square piers carrying low, slightly chamfered pointed arches, and passage aisles with stone lintels running out from the piers, carved with an ogee moulding on each face. The panelled roof is jettied out slightly from the chancel and more from the nave, with the nave coving decorated with shields carrying emblems of the Passion; the vertical ribs and ridge of the roof decorated with coloured banding in the style of GF Bodley, and the easternmost bay decorated with sacred emblems; the south-east chapel has a similar, simpler roof and a reredos in late Gothic style, possibly by WHR Blacking, with a painted triptych signed with the monogram HRM; 2 stained-glass windows in the south-east chapel by Ward and Hughes, and the chancel east window possibly by the same firm; gilded organ case in a late Gothic style by WHR Blacking. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.