You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480730  

Print Page



© Miss Esther Harbour

IoE Number: 480730
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH AND ATTACHED STEPS AND WALLS, ELM GROVE (north side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Miss Esther Harbour
Date Photographed: 03 August 2005
Date listed: 19 July 1985
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3105SE ELM GROVE 577-1/28/279 (North side) 19/07/85 Church of St Joseph and attached steps and walls (Formerly Listed as: ELM GROVE St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church) II* Roman Catholic church. 1880-1906. The original design, by W Kedo Broder, was for a church with a polygonal chancel flanked by outer apsidal chapels, nave, transepts, and a tall west tower and spire. The nave and chancel were completed by 1880 to this design; the south transept and chapel were opened in 1885 to the design of JS Hansom; the west front, designed by FA Walters, was completed by 190l, and the north transept and north chapel by 1906. Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings, roof of slate. PLAN: chancel, side chapel, shallow transepts, nave. EXTERIOR: the east end has an apse of 5 sides with windows of 2 lights with trefoiled tracery, and gabled buttresses between; south-east and north-east chapels are 5 sides of an octagon with similar windows under hoodmoulds, buttresses with one offset. Shallow transepts with 2 windows of 2 lights with sexfoil above under hoodmoulds, and gabled buttresses with one offset to either side, 3 stepped lancets in the gable. Single-storey vestry to north-east side. 2-bay nave with low unwindowed aisles under a lean-to roof; clerestory has 3-light windows with trefoiled tracery and 2 gabled buttresses with one offset. The west end has a gabled porch, the flat-arched entrance set under a pointed arch with the mouldings of the archivolt dying into splayed reveals; the double doors have elaborate hinges and there is a statue of St Joseph in the tympanum; 2 pointed-arched windows above, each of 2 lights with a cinquefoil above and under a single hoodmould with a vesica-shaped window in the spandrel; 3 stepped lancets to gable, also under a single hoodmould; stair tower to left of porch, square in plan; buttress to right. Steps up to west porch in 2 flights, with flanking walls crowned by a spiked rail. INTERIOR: apsidal chancel of 7 bays with vault-shafts of Bath stone, vaulting of white Beere brick; multi-shafted chancel arch combined with 2-bay arcade to transepts, the columns to the south with foliage caps, those to the north uncarved; slim columns to transepts with foliage capitals and sexpartite vault to crossing; nave of 2 major bays relating to the vaulting of the roof, of stone and brick as in the chancel, and 4 subsidiary bays relating to the arcade to passage-aisles, which consists of circular columns carrying abaci only. Organ gallery to west end.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.