© Miss Esther Harbour
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, ELM GROVE
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Miss Esther Harbour
03 August 2005
14 January 1981
Date of last amendment:
26 August 1999
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3205SW ELM GROVE
577-1/29/280 (North side)
14/01/81 St Wilfrid's flats
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Wilfrid)
Church, now an old people's home. Foundation stone at west end
laid 1932, work completed 1934 (all directions ritual).
Designed by HS Goodhart-Rendel, built by George Lynn and Sons
Ltd. Brown Keymer brick in Dutch bond, concrete-cased steel
and reinforced concrete, roof of pantiles.
PLAN: chancel, nave, north and south passage aisles, north and
south chapels, tower over the chancel, vestry at north-east
EXTERIOR: all windows segmental-arched. The east end is blank.
The saddleback tower lies across the width of the church, and
is set back twice, very slightly; the broad sides are
unwindowed; 2 tall windows to the north, with architraves of
slightly recessed brickwork and set between shallow brick
buttresses; above them, another pair of windows, less tall and
set under a corbelled brick archivolt; cross of blue tiles
with gold mosaic joints between these windows. Side chapel to
north under catslide roof, its northern face unwindowed, and a
window to west, matching those of the nave. Nave formerly of 5
bays, the pier projecting as haunches above the roof. Gabled
north-east porch. West end canted slightly in plan, with 2
windows of which only the upper is original. Mansard roof with
modern lay-lights inserted. Vestry with 2 tiers of windows, of
which only the upper one is original. Screen wall to north
side between porch and vestries.
INTERIOR: the interior of the church has been wholly altered
by the insertion of housing which leaves the south arcade and
the space under the tower unencumbered; in the former side
chapel to the north, a mural painting by Hans Feibusch, 1940.
(RIBA Journal: 1934: vol.41: 234-9).