You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480936  

Print Page



©  Robert E Priest LRPS

IoE Number: 480936
Location: BRIGHTHELM CHURCH AND COMMUNITY CENTRE, NORTH ROAD (south side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Robert E Priest LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 November 2000
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3004NE NORTH ROAD 577-1/32/734 (South side) 13/10/52 Brighthelm Church and Community Centre (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET The Presbyterian Church) II Formerly known as: Hanover Chapel. Nonconformist chapel. Built as the Hanover Chapel in 1825, and now part of the Brighthelm Church and Community Centre. Stucco, roof obscured by parapet. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement, 4-window range to the principal front. This consists of a centre of 2-window range and 2 outer pedimented bays of one window each flanked by giant Doric pilasters. Flat-arched entrance to each of the outer bays under a prostyle Doric porch with entablature;in the centre a pair of Venetian windows in the Adam manner with Doric engaged columns; storey band running behind pilasters; the first-floor windows are square with eared and shouldered architraves; entablature; pediments to outer bays; parapet raised at the centre with antefixae. Returns of 2-window range to the frontispiece and 4-window range to the body of the church. The church appears to have been very extensively rebuilt when it was incorporated in the Brighthelm Church and Community Centre in 1985-7 and there are no interior features of architectural or historic interest. The listing applies only to the rebuilt chapel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.