You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 480954  

Print Page



©  David Brogan

IoE Number: 480954
Location: SOUTHDOWN HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS PIERS AND RAILINGS, 51 OLD LONDON ROAD (south west side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: David Brogan
Date Photographed: 09 September 2004
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3008NW OLD LONDON ROAD, Patcham 577-1/16/1015 (South West side) 13/10/52 No.51 Southdown House and attached walls, piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: OLD LONDON ROAD, Patcham No.51 Southdown House) (Formerly Listed as: OLD LONDON ROAD, Patcham Wall in front of No.51 (Southdown House)) GV II* Detached house. Early C18. Dressed flint with cobbles, and dressings of red brick, roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement with dormers in attic, 5 windows, double-fronted. Brick quoins. Flat-arched entrance with overlight and 6-panelled door; doorcase with Gibbs surround with pediment over; all windows flat-arched; base of cobbles with segmental arches over basement windows; brick band; then dressed flint with a brick storey band over the ground floor windows, which have heads of gauged brick and red brick dressings, as do the first-floor windows; glazing bars renewed; storey band; parapet with diaper patterns in red brick; 3 flat-arched dormers; end stacks. Left-hand return of flint, tile-roofed wing to south-east. INTERIOR: has fine early C18 staircase with curtail step, columnar principal newel, moulded tread ends, wreathed and ramped mahogany rail and 3 balusters to each step, the central baluster plain, the others twisted, open string and panelled dado. Dwarf cobbled wall to street surmounted by wooden railings; brick piers at either end with ball finials and curved walls of brick and flint running between them and the corners of the house. The wall to street was listed on 20/08/71.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.