You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481003  

Print Page



© Miss Patricia Philpott ARPS

IoE Number: 481003
Location: STATUE OF SIR JOHN CORDY BURROWS, OLD STEINE
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Miss Patricia Philpott ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 July 2007
Date listed: 26 August 1999
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3103NW OLD STEINE 577-1/46/640 Statue of Sir John Cordy Burrows GV II Statue. 1878. By EB Stephens. White marble on a plinth of granite. Rusticated base and square pedestal with plinth and cornice. Standing figure in mayoral robes. Sir John Cordy Burrows (1813-1876) was a co-founder of the Royal Literary and Scientific Institution, 3 times Mayor of Brighton in the mid-Victorian period, and nick-named 'King Cordy' because of the extent of his influence. The statue stood at the southern end of the Pavilion Gardens until they were remodelled in about 1984. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.