© Mr David Easton LRPS
NUMBER 9 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND LIGHT STANDARD TO REAR, 9 POOL VALLEY (north side)
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr David Easton LRPS
01 October 2004
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
13 October 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3103NW POOL VALLEY
577-1/46/675 (North West side)
and attached walls and light
standard to rear
House, formerly used as a shop. 1794. Mathematical tiles. High
hipped roof of tiles.
3 storeys and dormer. 3-window range. Ground floor filled by
C20 shop of no distinction. Above rise 3 canted bays with
flat-arched, tripartite windows; simple guttered eaves. Some
sashes of original design to first floor side windows, 2/2,
and to second floor, 3/6 centre and 1/2 sides. More complete
sashes to rear elevation. 2 roof dormers, that on the left,
the larger of the 2, with casements; the right has sliding
sashes of original 4/4 design. Off alley on the left 2
extensions at right angles to axis of main block. A tall brick
stack removed in a late C20 restoration. Its former location
between the second- and third-window range. 2 rear extensions
along twitten to the left, stepping down to flint walls.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Used as a bun shop for approx 150 years by the Cowley family.