You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481067  

Print Page



© Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 481067
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ATTACHED WALLS, PRESTON DROVE (south side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 02 July 2000
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3006 PRESTON DROVE, Preston 577-1/12/1040 (South side) 13/10/52 Church of St Peter and attached walls (Formerly Listed as: PRESTON DROVE, Preston St Peter's Church or the Old Church) GV II* Anglican church. C13, nave heavily restored 1872 by James Woodman with the rebuilding of the north porch and addition of the south vestry; chancel restored in 1878 by Ewan Christian; further restoration of the nave in 1906-7 by PM Johnston after it was gutted by fire. Flint with stone dressings, roof of tiles. Chancel, nave, west tower, north porch, and south vestry. EXTERIOR: east window of 3 stepped lancets; shoulder-arched entrance to south side of chancel, possibly of C19 date, and 3 lancets to north and south sides; 2 lancets to south side of nave, 3 to north, and 2 small shoulder-arched windows near apex of nave gable over chancel. South vestry with external stack and decorative cowled chimney. Angle buttresses to west end of nave. The west tower is square in plan and projects from the centre of the west end; small louvred lancets to north and south, corbel table and pyramidal roof. North porch of flint and timber-framing with panels of brick nogging and steep hipped roof of Horsham stone slab. INTERIOR: the altar is a chest-tomb, said to be of Edward Elrington who died in 1515, the front carved with shields in quatrefoils. The chancel as a whole provides a good ensemble of late Victorian decoration, paid for and partly in memory of the Stanford family of Preston Manor: arcaded wooden reredos of shortly after 1906; stencil decoration to walls; pointed-arched roof, the closely-spaced ribs decorated with stencil painting; choir stalls in broadly Gothic style carved with foliage and figurative ornament; floor paved with tesserae; stained-glass windows in memory of the Stanford family. Early English chancel arch with chamfered detailing. Remains of piscina in the south wall of the nave, and of early C14 wall paintings either side of the chancel arch and between the 2 easternmost windows on the north wall of the nave: Nativity on the north wall, the murder of St Thomas a Becket north of the chancel arch, and St Michael weighing souls to the south. Painting of the Deposition over the entrance to the south vestry, formerly part of the chancel reredos, of late C19 date, with a gilded frame typical of those used by the Pre-Raphaelites; possibly by NHJ Westlake. Wall of flint with brick coping, extending approx 25 metres to the south and approx 30 metres to the north from the west end of the church; 5 buttresses to northern stretch, much rebuilt. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-; Guide for visitors to Preston Old Church (St Peters); Information from David Beever, Keeper of Preston Manor).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.