You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481080  

Print Page



© Mr Ron Garvey

IoE Number: 481080
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, PRESTON ROAD (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Ron Garvey
Date Photographed: 02 July 2007
Date listed: 26 August 1999
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3006 PRESTON ROAD, Preston 577-1/12/1044 (East side) Church of St John the Evangelist II Anglican church. The nave of 1901-2 , the chancel of 1926. Nave designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and Sons, and built by James Longley; chancel added in 1926. Rock-faced stone with stone dressings, roof of tiles. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north-east vestry. EXTERIOR: east window of 3 lights with geometrical tracery and 3 louvred lancets above; 2 lancets to north of chancel, 4 to south; north and south aisles have ten lancets in pairs between shallow buttresses and a parapet swept up and interrupted over the buttresses; clerestories likewise ten lancets in pairs with hoodmoulds linked by string; the west end has flat-arched entrances to north and south aisles under a pointed-arched moulding, the tympanum and angles of the moulding filled with panels of foliage embracing crowns, with a Y-traceried window above; the nave extends in the form of deep buttresses embracing a narthex; side entrances pierce the buttresses in the form of flat arches under a pointed arch with glazed tympanum; the baptistery is rectangular in plan, with parapet; the west end has a 2-light window with a cinquefoil above, and 2 outer lancets; stepped louvred lancets to apex, fleche of wood and lead at meeting of nave and chancel. North-east vestry with one pointed-arched and 2 flat-arched entrances,and one 3-light trefoiled window; organ chamber above. INTERIOR: east window flanked by a pointed-arched panel on either side, sedilia to south with simplified mouldings; vault-shafts to the side walls decorated with bosses of foliage; 2-bay arcade to south, now closed, organ chamber to north; elaborate carved reredos of stone with 3 panels, the central panel higher and depicting the Ascension; choir stalls probably of a date with the chancel; terrazzo work to chancel floor; simple chancel screen; multi-moulded chancel arch set just below roof. Nave of 5-and-a-quarter bays with roll-moulded capitals and pointed arches having a chamfer and inner order; moulded sill band to clerestory windows; 3-bay arcade to narthex and baptistery, the font set back in a top-lit space under a broad segmental arch. Nave and chancel are virtually under one roof with a 5-sided vault with panelled ribs and panelling. Polygonal pulpit decorated with elaborate Gothic work including engaged colonnettes of green marble, all on a base of clustered columns; font of white marble in the form of an angel holding a shell, by J Whitehead. Original wrought-iron brackets and pendant ford electroliers to nave. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.