You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481114  

Print Page



© Ms Mary Allison

IoE Number: 481114
Location: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, QUEEN'S PARK TERRACE (north east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Mary Allison
Date Photographed: 13 July 2007
Date listed: 26 August 1999
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3204NW QUEEN'S PARK TERRACE 577-1/35/725 (North East side) Church of St Luke II Anglican church. 1881-1885. Designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield. An irregular mix of split and whole flints with stone dressings, mouldings and windows. Roofs of tile. PLAN: 3-bay chancel to east with 2-bay Lady Chapel to the south and vestry to the north. 4-bay nave with north and south aisles; an organ chamber to the east of the nave, off the south side of the chancel. Tower of 3 stages at south-west corner of nave; in plan it is octagonal with short and long sides alternating, broaching into a regular octagon in top stage which is capped by an 8-sided pyramidal roof. West porch abuts tower and runs width of nave only. Gable facing west front and north aisle. Revival of the Early English Gothic. EXTERIOR: at the foot of the chancel is a high plinth of 2 setbacks. East window comprised of 5 stepped lancets gathered together; flanked by buttresses of 2 setbacks. Below the east window a panel decorated with red and white chequers. A sill band to this window continues across the east wall to the Lady Chapel. There is a stone lacing course in the steep facing gable of the chancel, set in the middle of which is a small double lancet light. Coping and gable cross above. The plinth at the foot of the chancel reduces to a single setback and continues around the church. The principal elevation to Queen's Park Road is the south one. The east window of the Lady Chapel is comprised of 3 stepped lancets. The body of the Lady Chapel is clearly articulated from the chancel by corner buttresses to the north and south. Gable kneelers and coping. The south elevation of the Lady Chapel has a 3-window range, each window a single lancet. Each bay demarcated by a buttress of 2 setbacks. The sill band from the east elevation continues down this flank running over each buttress. There is, in addition, a springing band to the window heads, interrupted by the buttresses, and a coved cornice to the eaves. The south aisle of the nave abuts the west end of the Lady Chapel. Obscuring the Lady Chapel's west gable is a gabled bay of nearly the same height, the first of two which can be found on each aisle and which project slightly forward from the front wall. These gables, which alternate on both elevations with a pair of double-light plate tracery windows, are the most distinctive feature of the design not only because they give the elevation a highly picturesque outline but also because their placement on the south side is exactly the reverse of their placement on the north, a device which will be described fully on the interior. Each projects slightly from the walls to the intermediate bays which are considerably lower. Pointed arched window with traceried head; gable coping and cross to each roof. Each intermediary range has a double light with plate tracery. Continuous sill band ties these different elements together, and steps down to form the division between the first and second stage of the tower. Single lancet to west and south face. In its second stage the tower broaches; above each broach is a single light. The originally planned spire was never completed due to lack of funds. The west gable has three 2-light plate traceried lancets with quatrefoiled heads, the centre light taller than the side and intersecting a stone lacing course. The west window to the north aisle has a 2-light, plate-traceried lancet with a sill band which continues down the north aisle. Abutting the tower and stretching the width of the nave is an external porch with lean-to roof. Entrance through pointed and subordered arch, its spandrels filled with blind tracery. To either side a group of 3 lancets. Inside porch the returns have pointed arches which appear to be blocked doorways. The north aisle is identical to the south. INTERIOR: the chancel floor is raised 3 steps above the nave and the sacrarium a further 2. There is an organ chamber in the north wall of the chancel which also opens into the north aisle of the nave. The reredos is a 5-bay blind arcade with cinquefoiled heads, the centre bay set in a Gothic aedicule; elaborate floral carving in the C14 style. The entire reredos is set within a blind superarch uniting the 5-lancet window; hood moulding terminating in angel stops. Door in the north wall leads to a vestry. The pointed-barrel vault ceiling of the chancel is made from timber and has arched principals supported by corbels in the upper reaches of the wall. Similar roof of smaller dimension to the Lady Chapel. The chancel is paved with black and red tiles, and separated from the nave by a pointed chancel arch. The nave arcade is pointed and supported in the chancel wall, by paired corbelled shafts with filleted keels and bell capitals. The arcade is supported by columns with nail-head capitals. The timber roof of the nave is divided into 4 major bays corresponding to the arcade posts below; each bay is then articulated into 2 minor bays. The major trusses are composed of a braced and strutted tie beam with an arched collar beam above. The arched braces are cusped. The tie beam is omitted in front of the west window to form a hammer beam. The intermediate bays are defined by a scissor-braced collar beam and are strutted into a wall plate spur. All the principal rafters have wind braces. The side purlins are through jointed. The real interest of the design is to be found in the aisles, which are covered with alternating transverse pointed, wood barrel vaults (in the gabled bays) and lean-to roofs (in the intermediate bays). Each cell of the aisle is separated by a braced joist. The pattern of south and north aisles are exactly reversed so that aisle bays opposite one another are differently roofed. The westernmost bay of the nave was filled in c1965 by a single storey structure designed to enclose parish rooms just inside the entrance. Furnishings include: octagonal font of 2 stages in south-west corner of the nave; pulpit at north-east corner of the nave, polygonal with fleur-de-lys frieze and cusped, arcaded balustrade; iron and wood altar rails; open benches set in 2 rows in the nave only; choir stalls in a collegiate arrangement in the chancel. Stained glass by Kempe in the east window of the Lady Chapel. Early C20 glass in the north and south aisle. This church was started as a mission of St Mary's, St James Street (qv), in 1875 when it was housed in red brick building opposite the present site. The hall was demolished following a fire in 1972. St Luke's was constituted as a separate parish in 1880. In 1974 it was merged with the parish of the Resurrection.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.